Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Engine Swaping (B18C into 91 Integra LS)

Old 09-18-2005, 07:25 AM
hachacker5024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swaping

in my 91ls 5spd i want to do an engine swap and sine you guys around here know alot about this and have done so many will the HONDA B18C R be a direct swap out for the old motor for this new one i currently have the b18b in mine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to Hybrid.

This is why.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 AM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Default Is the B18B the sec engine?

Hmm well depends, IS the B18B the second engine , a swap already. Because B18B's do not come in 90-93 Integra(american) models Onlee B18A and B17 were in 90 to 93 models. If the engine yu have is a B18B than the factory B18A has already been swapped for that powerplant. As for the engine the B18C to the transmission thats already in teh car, sure it,ll bolt up no problem.Its sti;ll a B series engine.All B series engine share a core engine designation such as housing to block bolt patterns. the diff comes in the slight diff in internal blue printing such as larger upward oil passages for VTEC.Anywho yu will need an ECU that will run the new engine , definatlly yu should go with a 94GS-R ECU , if not yu can and and we have done OBD I to OBD II conversions in this case. Are yu going with a JDM C or a C1 or C5. That make a whole diffrance. GS-R and Type R B18C engines are basically the same exact thing, except lets say the Type R model utilizes the Cams that are on a B16 engine giving it slightlly better lift than the GS-R. And the rest is the short run LS style intake runner on the Type R versus the more evolved intake plenum on the GS-R. Besides that its all doing of the PCM that makes the diff.Yull need the engine wiring horness and the internal wiring horness. The plug ins are similar but onlee the internal wiring horness going to the ECM or yu will have to wire it to the VTEC controls to the PCM. The wiring horness on yur model may plug into the chassis horness but it will not be wired to the PCM for VTEC operation.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:56 AM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Default BUt

Originally Posted by DUNK_Performanc
Hmm well depends, IS the B18B the second engine , a swap already. Because B18B's do not come in 90-93 Integra(american) models Onlee B18A and B17 were in 90 to 93 models. If the engine yu have is a B18B than the factory B18A has already been swapped for that powerplant. As for the engine the B18C to the transmission thats already in teh car, sure it,ll bolt up no problem.Its sti;ll a B series engine.All B series engine share a core engine designation such as housing to block bolt patterns. the diff comes in the slight diff in internal blue printing such as larger upward oil passages for VTEC.Anywho yu will need an ECU that will run the new engine , definatlly yu should go with a 94GS-R ECU , if not yu can and and we have done OBD I to OBD II conversions in this case. Are yu going with a JDM C or a C1 or C5. That make a whole diffrance. GS-R and Type R B18C engines are basically the same exact thing, except lets say the Type R model utilizes the Cams that are on a B16 engine giving it slightlly better lift than the GS-R. And the rest is the short run LS style intake runner on the Type R versus the more evolved intake plenum on the GS-R. Besides that its all doing of the PCM that makes the diff.Yull need the engine wiring horness and the internal wiring horness. The plug ins are similar but onlee the internal wiring horness going to the ECM or yu will have to wire it to the VTEC controls to the PCM. The wiring horness on yur model may plug into the chassis horness but it will not be wired to the PCM for VTEC operation.
You could also just run an VTEC controler if all that other stuff is to much to handle
Old 09-18-2005, 12:32 PM
hachacker5024

well this is the engine that i am looking to buy it comes with all the listed below is that everything that i am going to need. http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/introhonda.htm

Plans for this engine
Turbo
injectors
Pistons
Cams
Intake
all before the engine goes in the car

Thanks for the help.
Tell me what u think about the mods for my enging if anyone knows anything else please tell me. or has any suggustions
Old 09-18-2005, 12:42 PM
hachacker5024

also what do u guys think the most boost PSI i would be able to run in this engine
Old 09-18-2005, 02:26 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by hachacker5024
also what do u guys think the most boost PSI i would be able to run in this engine
Please tell me that your only kidding when you aske this question.
If you have done even one bit of research of your own on this topic you would have never asked this question...
Being that I usually don't make worthless posts (like this one would be if I didn't elaborate on the above statement) I'll shed some light. But first before I do that here are some links for you to look at.
www.howstuffworks.com very basic explanation that a 2 year old can understand
www.superhonda.com great info, but not a lot of traffic so it takes a while to get answers, (hint use the search key)
www.homemadeturbo.com Once again not a lot of traffic, but gives you the basics of building your own kit. Although I'm not a fan of doing the "junkyard kit (Been there and done that years ago, my first turbo was a junkyard kit)" but it provides info.
And of course the most uselfull site i've been a part, tons of great info (10 times what you'll find on all the other sites combined)...and links
www.honda-tech.com read it learn it, and use it...The search function will help you greatly. I can not stress that enough.....

Back to you question, you can run as little as 3psi and blow your engine or as much as 18psi and NOT blow your engine. It depends on several factors, tuning, condition of the engine, turbo size, turbo components (they all work together differently) etc...
If your looking a car to last for a long time on the street then tune for about 280-300whp. If your like some (including me) then you can push the envelope to about 350whp, but that takes some precise tuning, great care and knowledge. There are quite a few 300+whp stock block honda's roaming the streets that have been doing so for quite some time.
Check out www.cheesefrog.com there is some pretty cool stuff (vids) on there.
Lastly psi (boost) is NOT a limiting factor for your motor. Boost will not blow your engine, but poor tuning and/or exceeding the power limits of your engine will. 10psi on one turbo is not the same on another turbo. I've seen b18c's running small (cough* greddy cough**) turbo's amd making about 230-240whp, on the other hand I've also seen b18c's running larger (sc-61's mainly) turbo's making close to if not more then 300whp @10psi. Tuning also plays a big role in power production, I've seen some cars tuned quite well gain another 20whp in just tuning alone (same car tuned by another person running the same amount of boost)...

Read up....
As far as your original question goes, yes the motor will drop in, you will just need to add a few wires (wiring diagrams can be found at www.hondaswap.com)...and a dohc vtec ecu (p30, p61, p72)
Old 09-18-2005, 08:17 PM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Default he is right tho

he is also right to, when running turbo yu have to make sure yuve gotten components put it that can handle it. Yu compression will have to taken down a little depending on the engine and application.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM
hachacker5024

yes i know that as little as 3psi can blow it and it could also handle past 18psi but i was asking if anyone here with this engine with a turbo runs how much PSI or knows someone i know very much about the factors of turboing but i was asking what u guys think or know how much PSI this engine can run lets say with all stock internals even though i do not plan on having stock internals
Old 09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Default well

my freind kang ran like 8 psi with stock internals as far as i kno of, and then later he took the turbo off and ran the engine stock, it seemed fine.Im not saying to go and do that but its wut he did, we homeade his setup from a turbo off of a 94 Saab that was wrecked and a few things here and there.