Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Questions about engines + extra horsepower?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:37 AM
That Sob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about engines + extra horsepower?

Well ive made some upgrades to the interior and exterior of my 00 si, so now I was thinking some engine work but honestly don’t know where to start….

Besides the exhaust and intake---
For better breathing and air intake I was thinking about the skunk 2 intake manifold along with the skunk2 68mm throttle body. This is to let more air flow to the engine but wont I need to increase my fuel for any gains ??? Does a upgraded fuel rail do this??

Also hearing a lot about ignition and spark…so I was thinking about the msd 6a ignition kit . (quicker ETs, easier starting, reduced plug fouling, more power).

Seen cam gears and pulley kits but don’t know exactly what these do other than the difference between Honda factory speakers and JL audio ones…

I have some money saved up and would like to maximize my si ‘s performance but don’t want to buy something only to realize that I have to buy something else and something else later on. Want to spend a couple of hundred but get something that will give me the best overall gains without breaking the bank..

Looking for some personal experience here as well as some fined tuned knowledge.

Any help is appreciated guys….

Thanks a lot………..
Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

do you want to go boost or keep it NA? this will effect what mods you get in the future.

what mods do you have right now? if all you have is an exhaust and intake, and intake manifold and 68mm tb would not be the best choice for next mod. finish up the basic bolt on's first with a header and cat. the stock fuel rail can support 600+hp, so you'll be fine with it unless you want some bling.

the stock ignition is perfectly fine. just tune it up with new oem wires, plugs, and coil.

cam gears are needed to adjust the cam timing. not necessary unless you have bigger aftermarket cams. you'll hear many different opinions on pullies, but i just say stay away from them. the 1-2hp they may give you isnt worth it.

if you really want performance, you cant upgrade one thing and not expect to have to upgrade another.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
qtiger

You don't need to upgrade your fuel rail unless you're making serious power.

Stock Honda ignition is great, if you have to upgrade just add a MSD cap and external coil.

First come up with a power goal, we'll help you get there.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 AM
That Sob

alright so i should leave the stock ignition and upgrade my coils wires and plugs...leaving the fuel rail alone...
i see alot of headers and exhuasts for sale on the net and in stores..is there really such a big difference in exhausts besides 1 being 200 dollars and a greddy or apex being 600 dollars?...i know the piping size and the mandrel bends are significant and some are stainless steel thats better ....anyhow what do you think about the aem cams ? are they hard to install and plus i have no idea where there is a dyno around here. (new to the area)..i think im gonna get a dc sports header. i seen import tuner test a dcs header in a civic and it made ok gains.. so overall a good intake , good header , and good cat back exhuast with cams and ignition upgrade will help me run better and quicker...i have new ngk spark plugs n wires so i think im good there..
Old 09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
97civicEXVTEC

stay away from $200 exhausts.. do you want a loud or quiet exhaust?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

what type of cams are you getting? aem makes camgears. camshafts are completely different.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
lilkutevboi

i need to kno how to install vafc and i need more hp
Old 09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by lilkutevboi
i need to kno how to install vafc and i need more hp
So make your own thread.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
hakjai

Originally Posted by That Sob
alright so i should leave the stock ignition and upgrade my coils wires and plugs...leaving the fuel rail alone...
i see alot of headers and exhuasts for sale on the net and in stores..is there really such a big difference in exhausts besides 1 being 200 dollars and a greddy or apex being 600 dollars?...i know the piping size and the mandrel bends are significant and some are stainless steel thats better ....anyhow what do you think about the aem cams ? are they hard to install and plus i have no idea where there is a dyno around here. (new to the area)..i think im gonna get a dc sports header. i seen import tuner test a dcs header in a civic and it made ok gains.. so overall a good intake , good header , and good cat back exhuast with cams and ignition upgrade will help me run better and quicker...i have new ngk spark plugs n wires so i think im good there..
What kind of power do you have in mind? If you're expecting 250-300hp you're going to end up selling most of that stuff later on.