Notices

99 ACCORD, REV limiter crazy? HELP ??

Old 09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
blacknight07601

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
So the car still will not rev past a certain point in the rev range when it's warmed up? Does it just STOP like you've hit the fuel cut off? Maybe the ECU is bad or something, that's weird.
Exactly. It's like hitting the rev limiter but at 4900RPM's
The first time it happened to me, I was scared. I was racing a 99 base TL and going through a nice left hand turn I was pulling on him, but suddenly my tach started bouncing at 48-4900RPM's and I was like WTF. So I posted my experience and did a search and come to find out, a couple of other people had the same problem and said it was due to low oil. I'll admit, I was overdue for an oil change so when I got it changed I went back to the turn and hit it harder than before and kepy accelerating and the car pulled through there nice and hard.
Here's a few other links of guys who had the same experience
Click 1
Click 2
Click 3
Click 4
And that's only on this board. Almost every board I'm on, someone has this problem with their Accord
Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moo, check your oil yet? Was it low?

Good info blackknight, I had assumed that the first thing he would have done after we responded would have been to check the oil.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
moogotzskillz

i just changed my oil, still same problem, and my oil was good before i changed it anyways.

i got sick and took it to a shop to diagnose it(on the machine) it said Vavle timing oil preasure sensor, so i went and bought it from HONDA for $114. and still did the same thing, so today after work i'm going to the store and checking it again(after i kick that dudes ass for the wrong thing) not really .

thanxs yea'll, adn keep me posted
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by moogotzskillz
i just changed my oil, still same problem, and my oil was good before i changed it anyways.

i got sick and took it to a shop to diagnose it(on the machine) it said Vavle timing oil preasure sensor, so i went and bought it from HONDA for $114. and still did the same thing, so today after work i'm going to the store and checking it again(after i kick that dudes ass for the wrong thing) not really .

thanxs yea'll, adn keep me posted
If it was valve timing oil pressure sensor all that would happen is that VTEC wouldn't activate IMO. You might want to take it to Honda, this is a really weird problem that I'm boggled on. I'm dying to learn what is causing this.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
moogotzskillz

illl keep yea'll updated....
Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 AM
RKV

Check your oil, that's the only thing that would cause abnormal pressure aside from a bad oil pump I think. And you'd know if you had a bad oil pump. If your oil pressure was really low though your light would come on...

So the car still will not rev past a certain point in the rev range when it's warmed up? Does it just STOP like you've hit the fuel cut off? Maybe the ECU is bad or something, that's weird.
hey 98coupev6, if i have a CEL(vtec malfunction, not sure if its 1259, unless theres only 1 vtec code), whenever i accelerate hard, the car feels bog downed, and the theres a point where the tach jumps up and down (im not accelerating anymore also), i assume that is the rev limiter, is that bad for my car? im tryin to trouble shoot if its a bad vtec solenoid or a bad vtec pressure switch.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:18 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by RKV
hey 98coupev6, if i have a CEL(vtec malfunction, not sure if its 1259, unless theres only 1 vtec code), whenever i accelerate hard, the car feels bog downed, and the theres a point where the tach jumps up and down (im not accelerating anymore also), i assume that is the rev limiter, is that bad for my car? im tryin to trouble shoot if its a bad vtec solenoid or a bad vtec pressure switch.
VTEC malfunction? That's very rare. Since VTEC is oil pressure actuatued, there's a solenoid (as you said) with an oil filter (a screen I think) near it. I've heard of that screen getting clogged from using dirty oil, so check there. If that's fine, I guess troubleshoot the code.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
blacknight07601

VTEC malfunction? That's very rare. Since VTEC is oil pressure actuatued, there's a solenoid (as you said) with an oil filter (a screen I think) near it. I've heard of that screen getting clogged from using dirty oil, so check there. If that's fine, I guess troubleshoot the code.
That's a possibility also.
I'd also have then check the VTEC solenoid also.
But regardless, if it's not a low oil pressure problem, you should have some type of code instead of someone guessing the problem/solution
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 AM
RKV

im not guessing, i checked the CEL code, cuz I had a CEL. btw, i did what u suggested 98coupev6 with the cleaning the shield. the code im getting is 1259, unless like otherwise stated theres more then 1 CEL for bad vtec. i took the car to honda, they said get an oil change, did that. then they suggested an oil flush, i said, wouldnt the oil change be the same as an oil flush if that was the solution (being low oil or flushing out contaminents), the technician said i am probably right, so they did not do that. NEXT, they did actually what u suggested 98CoupeV6, the vtec solenoid shield gets clogged, so they cleaned the shield, and NOW i STILL have the code. so its either 1) bad solenoid 2) bad vtec pressure switch ... your thoughts gentlemen
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
blacknight07601

I'd lean toward a bad solenoid. But I'm not sure.