Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
OldHondaOwner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
delsol161

try running the CEL codes. seee what it comes up with.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
OldHondaOwner

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You probably busted a lot of relays.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
OldHondaOwner

I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?
Accord forum.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:43 PM
delsol161

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.
running CELs is easy. but being that it's an '87, i'm unsure how to do it. on newer hondas, there's a wire/plug comnig out of the ecu... and ya use a wire, or something to put into both openings. check your ECU, maybe it has the same thing. i agree w/
98CoupeV6, check the Accord forum.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
DaNnYsEvEn
ThInK PiNk!

Default im with 98CoupeV6

ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
good luck
Old 09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
delsol161

Originally Posted by DaNnYsEvEn
ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
good luck
agreed, find a wiring diagram, or a diagram of the fuse box and remove the main relay. if there isn't anything obviously wrong... i'd suggest going to a shop...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:56 PM
beeek9
BeeEK9-R

just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine