Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Race Numbers - Homemade

Old 09-03-2005, 07:04 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Numbers - Homemade

I decided to make the best and cheapest race numbers ever.

Tape sounded too silly for me, so I decided to make magnetic ones. These would be removable without any trace of their existence, and easy to apply during an autocross.

The problems with magnets as follows:
-They'll scratch the car
-They're black.

I solved both these problems by sewing the segments of magnetic tape inside of a piece of cloth shaped like the letter. It turned out fantastically! The white cloth made it incredibly visible, didn't let the magnet scratch the car, and held all the pieces together nicely.

All you need is a sewing machine, some thin cloth, and Magnetic Tape:

Here's a "cross section" of the 8. You can see the magnets inside the cloth:

Final Product:

And look at what visibility we've got:

I'm all ready for tomorrow's AutoX! Now I've just got to convince the parents, and get some gas money. It's in Toledo, for those nearby.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:04 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Only problem is if it rains the cloth would soak up and get wet and the glue would come off.

Magnets will not scratch your car UNLESS you move the magnets while it's on your car. You just gotta remove the numbers and letters instead of sliding it around while it's on your car.

There's an easier way to make numbers. Go to an arts & craft store and purchase sheets of magets. Cut them into little rectangles (guessing 2"x4") and you have an infinite amount of numbers and letters you can make.

Sort of looks like LED signs.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:09 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

The glue has nothing to do with it anymore, I sewed it so the magnets won't move. Enough with number though, there's an actually AUTOCROSS TOMORROW! I'm freaking out this is awesome.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:05 AM
CivicSiRacer

Well cool have fun

Weather here is going to be AWESOME tomorrow for my autocross. low 80s and no humidity.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:38 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Sweet, Mike!

What car will you be racing?

edit

I've got a quick question for you. Tomorrow's event is actually a competition between two scca regions ("NWOR/ASCC Challenge"). What does this mean for me? I hope it's not double the people and half the fun. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 PM
azian21485

nice...a little too messy for my tastes though..but it's still functional =)

<---i've had experience with rain screwing up my numbers...hope it doesn't happen to you..

the new numbers can be seen in my sig...just click on the second picture on the top line..used magnets from leows (suggestion from a member on another board) with no problems at all
Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by beier
Sweet, Mike!

What car will you be racing?

edit

I've got a quick question for you. Tomorrow's event is actually a competition between two scca regions ("NWOR/ASCC Challenge"). What does this mean for me? I hope it's not double the people and half the fun. Thanks.
Using my 1991 Civic Si which gets 40mpg

I have no idea you would have ot ask the local people about the event. You can't possibly think I know about every autocross region and what they do?