Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Replacement of Ball Joints

Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
20civic00ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of Ball Joints

I'm not sure if I'm posting this message in the right place, but here goes... I have a 2000 Civic and I just found out that the ball joints need to be replaced because they are completely worn out. Has anyone had this done and can possibly enlighten me as to this process? I'm a weekend driver so I don't understand how this could be, but I guess after 5 years some things wear out. Also, what is the normal cost for such work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You will need to pull the hub off and then either press the balljoint out or hammer it out and then press or hammer the new one in.

Seems kind of fishy to me that after 5 years they would be bad already. Mine were much older and still in good shape (minus the torn boot). What symptoms have you observed that suggest that they have gone bad?

I have no idea on the cost, but it isn't a very easy job to do yourself.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 AM
20civic00ex

I will not be doing this work myself that's for sure. A friend of mine took it in to get maintenance while I was away and that's how it was discovered. Something about the mechanism is touching metal to metal because whatever cushion is between is completely worn, which can cause bending if not tended to. Also, apparently the car tends to lean to one side when you let go of the steering wheel and this I (now) noticed. (Sorry that I'm not more knowledgeable on this topic and I don't speak for all women, but I'm not that well versed when it comes to cars and I guess that's why I've sort of neglected my car some...) :hsdunno:

Thanks for any info. you can provide.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:49 AM
pomansouth

Originally Posted by 20civic00ex
I will not be doing this work myself that's for sure. A friend of mine took it in to get maintenance while I was away and that's how it was discovered. Something about the mechanism is touching metal to metal because whatever cushion is between is completely worn, which can cause bending if not tended to. Also, apparently the car tends to lean to one side when you let go of the steering wheel and this I (now) noticed. (Sorry that I'm not more knowledgeable on this topic and I don't speak for all women, but I'm not that well versed when it comes to cars and I guess that's why I've sort of neglected my car some...) :hsdunno:

Thanks for any info. you can provide.
I wouldnt trust the mechanic your friend took the car to, my ball joints are 11 years old and are ok with busted boots. Ball joints on a honda dont wear like that. Also, that sounds like you just need an alignment.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by pomansouth
I wouldnt trust the mechanic your friend took the car to, my ball joints are 11 years old and are ok with busted boots. Ball joints on a honda dont wear like that. Also, that sounds like you just need an alignment.
I completely agree. Get a second opinion about it before you end up replacing something that doesn't need to be replaced.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
20civic00ex

Originally Posted by pomansouth
I was kinda suprised to hear that something was shot in my car because I don't drive my car everyday; mainly on weekends and not for extended drives. Granted I do live in the city, so maybe streets are rougher - lots of bumps, potholls, etc. ? They also mentioned that even though I don't drive it a lot, that just by having it parked and it being exposed to weather such as snow, would cause these to wear out. I will definitely get a second opinion. This mechanic also mentioned that my tires are completely worn. They don't look it to me, but I'm no expert. Someone else looked at them and said the ridges are not deep enough, so that's probably why they're worn. They've never been replaced. I was told that before replacing the tires I should have the ball joints repaired since the problem would cause the tires to continue to wear out. True or not? Also, cost of ball joint repair would be somewhere around $400. I feel like I'm being taken for a ride and that's why I'm seeking advice here. Thank you guys for your feedback and patience. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
20civic00ex

Just wanted to add that he was told that the ball joints are shot and that the lower control arm that holds wheel to the car will break if not fixed. He said that when they looked under car, the mechanic put his hands on the arm and the wheel shook. Just adding to see if this sounds like it would be the result of ball joint problems...

Don't mean to keep on about this, but just seeking the advice of those with more knowledge about this. Thanks again!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Again, get a second opinion. Your mechanic may be of a rare breed and be honest about the problem, or just trying to play you. The only way to find out is to have someone else check it out.