Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

a few questions... (MAP)

Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
93prelude_si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few questions... (MAP)

Would a faulty map sensor result in the engine getting too much fuel, sputtering, and hesitation? Is it possible for a map sensor to go bad and the CEL not come on? And also, are honda MAPs interchangable? I have an H23, but the cheapest sensor I can find is $250. Would a map sensor from any other engine work? Thanks.

edit: My name should cover it, but its a 1993 Prelude Si 5-spd.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The MAP sensor is the main sensor the engine uses for adjusting fueling and ignition timing.

If you unplug the sensor, does it show a CEL? Have you checked to make sure the CEL lights when you turn the ignition to accessory?

If the sensor is bad, it would definitely show a CEL so your problem is either a burned out CEL, or the problem isn't your MAP sensor.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 AM
93prelude_si

The CEL does come on when its unplugged, but the engine runs better while its unplugged. I've had a couple people tell me it can fail and not throw the CEL, so I was just wondering.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM
psx_pat

Yeah, I just wondering if the map sensor go bad but not throwing any CEL code. Also is it possible the MAP sensor starting acting up when the engine is hot (especially hot and during heavy load)? But when the engine is cold is fine.