Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Planning an engine/tranny swap

Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 PM
uclaccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning an engine/tranny swap

i'm looking to get the prelude h22a and manual transmission for my 92 accord. i had a few questions:

1) how do you find a reputable place to buy the parts from?
2) how much should the h22 and tranny cost?
3) how do you know the parts are in good condition?
4) how do you find a reputable shop to do the installation?
5) how much should the installation cost?
6) how long does the installation take?
7) are there compatibility issues with my i/h/e? i remember reading a long time ago that one would need to buy new parts that were for the h22. is that right, or can i keep my bolt-ons?

thanks for any advice you guys can give
Old 08-28-2005, 08:07 AM
smakdown

Originally Posted by uclaccord
i'm looking to get the prelude h22a and manual transmission for my 92 accord. i had a few questions:

1) how do you find a reputable place to buy the parts from?
2) how much should the h22 and tranny cost?
3) how do you know the parts are in good condition?
4) how do you find a reputable shop to do the installation?
5) how much should the installation cost?
6) how long does the installation take?
7) are there compatibility issues with my i/h/e? i remember reading a long time ago that one would need to buy new parts that were for the h22. is that right, or can i keep my bolt-ons?

thanks for any advice you guys can give
1. Search the forums for places that sell engines. I think there was a thread on here somewhere titled something like "Where you got your engine from"

2. From www.hmotorsonline.com (prob the most reputable place online) its $2200 for the complete swap package including engine, tranny, ecu, etc...

3. you can do a compression and leakdown test when you get it from where ever you decide to order it from.

4. Ask around in your area for places that have already done one.

5. Im assuming ur not doing an auto to manual swap so id say anywhere from $400-800 depending on the shop. A place that has done some before might charge a little more but at least they know what they're doing.

6. Depends on how busy the shop is. I've seen it done in a day when a shop had nothing else to do. Average time is probably 4-7 days.

7. Im pretty sure the only thing you can keep is the exhaust for a 92. The header is different, and the intake for ludes are a larger diameter than accords. I would buy a cheap ebay prelude intake off ebay then stick your accord kn filter on it.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM
uclaccord

actually, i am doing an auto to manual swap, so how much would that cost?

thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 AM
uclaccord

anybody know an approximate cost range for an AT -> MT and engine swap, so i dont get ripped off?