Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

help me pick a turbo, etc...

Old 08-27-2005, 09:16 AM
danteisme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me pick a turbo, etc...

ok i ve decided to go forced induction route sometime next year. i plan on piecing my kit together over the winter and spring etc... and hopefully get it all together by the end of next summer. it is goin to be a budget kit but by no means am i goin to get shitty parts. lemme start off by statin some of my goals. id like to keep the car as reliable as it is now(NA) with the turbo. after doin some research, im findin this is possible as long as you dont go the cheap route. im at 160 whp now na, gettin my jdm type r cams in this week so im hopin for the high 160s to 170s at the wheels. when i go FI, im really not lookin for more than 200 whp just becuase i want to keep this simple and reliable and im keepin the internals bone stock. i want the urbo to pull up to redline, maybe start around 3500 ish rpms. id like to keep the boost right around 5-6 lbs as well. i want the car to be a decent track runner(well as decent as it can be with 200whp) as well as mainly keep a smile on my face when driving. im not too concerned with the mpg, im getin 31 now, but im findin out that if you dont have a foot made of concrete mpg dont change a whole ton. there is a few things im not entirely sure of. i DO want to keep my a/c(since this is my only car and daily driver) im lookin at i think its a revhard manifold that allows a/c. anyone reccomend this manifold? can i keep my ac just by using this manifold? also injectors, im not sure how big im lookin to get since i dont plan on pushing a whole tonof hp. and to go along with the whole fuel system, im assuming i would need to upgrade my fuel pump. i think im goin to keep my 2.5 in exhaust. the other area i need help in is im not sure what size turbo is goin to be right for my application. i open to any suggestions for that. as for other parts i planned on using dsm parts as they are a dime a dozen. like a dsm side mount, dsm bov, etc...(unless deals turn up from now till then) but i THINK i covered all the background info i need to. so for all the turbo guys help me figure out what all im lookin at here. im open to all suggestions but keep this in mind

i want this as reliable as possible as it is my only car. so no crazy suggestions...haha. low boost and low whp so i dont blow stuff up. thanks in advance.

and if i left anything out, let me know

and i just realized i forgot some stuff

heres what my setup is now NA

short ram intake
typer 4-1, full 2.5 exhuast
vafc2
b&m FPR
64mm TB
and soon the jdm type r cams, valvesrpings, adj cam gears

i planned on using the vafc2 to fuel tune becuase im not at looking any big hp.

and im obd2 and im stayin that way.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You aren't going to get that little power out of a turbo application. You will have to either continue on your N/A route or accept the fact that you will be pushing well over 200 whp with a turbo.

I would suggest that you stray away from the cheap method of tuning and piecing the kit together. The DSM sidemount intercooler is mostly effective at high boost levels, so it won't really apply to your application. Also, the VAFC is one of the crappiest ways to tune a turbo setup, so it won't be very reliable like you want it. You would want to go with a chipped ECU of some sort and run a free program like Uberdata or Crome to maintain that reliability.

Personally, I would stray away from the turbo since you don't want much power out of it and stick with an N/A setup. A higher compression piston coupled with a nice pair of cams will get you close to where you want to be. You could run a very low psi on the turbo setup for the power you want, but for the price, why bother? You will also have a much wider powerband with an N/A setup, so I would just stick with it.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:14 PM
danteisme

well i'll take more than 200 whp...that was just a conservative goal for fear of blowin shit up. what do you think you are puttin down with your greddy kit? and did u do anything to the internals on your car?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by danteisme
well i'll take more than 200 whp...that was just a conservative goal for fear of blowin shit up. what do you think you are puttin down with your greddy kit? and did u do anything to the internals on your car?
I am probably putting down around 220 whp at 8.5 psi with my setup. I could be putting down more if I was using something besides the blue box for fuel management, but smog is a bitch and I need to get that out of the way before I can plug in my chipped P72 and tune it.

My internals are bone stock. It is pretty much just a beefy Greddy kit bolted onto a stock motor. I also have 140k miles on it and it is daily driven, so it is a pretty safe setup, everything considered.