Notices

FAQ: Rotor/Hub and Lower Ball Joint Removal

Old 08-23-2005, 05:39 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAQ: Rotor/Hub and Lower Ball Joint Removal

This thread will cover rotor and hub removal for all generations. Please post any tips you have on it or any DIYs you've done yourself. Also, post links to other threads you found helpful. Feel free to ask some questions too, as it's not always straightforward. Enjoy

The two topics are combined because all of the files contain instructions on both.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
coregis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have one for the rear, or is it pretty much the same? 94-97 is my main concern, but other gens would undoubtedly be helpful to somebody. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:25 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

There's only one set of directions given in the 'brake rotor' section. They're pretty much the same, at least on my car.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

quoting myself here...
Originally Posted by wed3k
sup guys, just finished my brake change with the hub over rotor design.
so...im sure everyone knows how to take the caliper, just one 14mm bolt for the hose and two 17mm bolts for the mounting.

take that bitch out.

1. blast off the axle nut
2. take cotter pin and castle nut off (17mm) and seperate the lower ball joint out with whatever method but i prefer this way...

i used a pry bar to fill the gap

3. push the axle through the spline? or hole or whatever
4. bust loose the 4-14mm bolts facing towards you but dont take them off, just loosen them like 180 degrees...(you might want to do this b4 taking the axle out otherwise it'll just spin. but if you have a impact gun, then go for it)
5. flip the whole assembly around and there will be 4 star shaped bolts, a 12pt 10mm socket will do. so bust those out.
6. get 4 10mmx1.25 and 60mm bolts long. costed me 6 dollars at orchard supply.
7. install and thread like halfway in and follow this video...
http://www.reaction-image.net/albums/w00t/rotor.wmv
well, if you are on 56k then it sucks for you but i shall explain it. once all of the bolts are in, just hammer the bolts in, and the whole assembly should pop out. remove the bolts
8. you should get something like this.

remove the 4-14mm bolts.
9. replace rotor and reassemble the assembly onto the car. the star shaped bolts should go on TIGHT, as tight as you can because it is supposed to be pressed on but fuck honda.

10. after that reverse assembly and light off a couple of these in celerbration of your new rotors :thumbsup:
http://www.reaction-image.net/albums...01010004_G.avi
http://www.reaction-image.net/albums/w00t/pete.avi
http://www.reaction-image.net/albums/w00t/firework.avi
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Dzaccord

Nice write up.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I wish more people would do stuff like that :thumbup: I'll be doing a DIY on valve adjustment when I finally get around to it next weekend. Thanks wedley!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:22 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I wish more people would do stuff like that :thumbup: I'll be doing a DIY on valve adjustment when I finally get around to it next weekend. Thanks wedley!
that is hella time consuming, hurts your back when you are working on a lowered car too!

i need to do that again because i probably screwed up on my lower plug seal replacements, there is now puddles of oil.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Ahhcord EX96

Hey wedley I couldnt thank you enough on how you made a video! on taking the rotor off. man you ROCK! how ever wished you showed a video onhot to take that top piece on the rotors as well how do i get that off ? does it come right off or the center picec where the axle fit through has to be pressed off ? well please let me know aight. heres my email

JoeFJC@hotmail.com

I really wished People would always show pictures or evenbeter liek what you did is make a video onhow to do it. I was so over welmed to see the video onhow you did it jsut need tok nwo how to get the hub off the rotors to replace it and if i can do this id laugh at my teacher cuz we tried at my school at the mech school but couldnt get it off, another student who had an DX accord like mine said he wanted to get rid of his car now LOL. well please let me know ASAP if you can. i got new rotors already just need to get the old ones off.

JOe
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
nspec_Cd5

that was an awesome trick man. my friend was working on a 96 rotors and he spent 4 hours before i came and bought some of those 4 bolts, then it only took like 30 seconds.

thanks a lot man.

EDIT:
acutally it messed up the threads on the passenger side HUB.
we had to use thread lock for the bolts to hold on after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
09-09-07_1725.jpg (260.3 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by nspec_Cd5; 03-22-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: what happened after everything was put back together.