Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.

Well I just got back about 2 horus ago from a weekend of racing. I was down at the NE Divisionals in Landover, MD @ the FedEx Field.

The course was in the 60s for most cars. Here's a map for Sunday:http://tinyurl.com/9tmv7

Saturday was basically the same course, but certain elements were changed to run it backwards and be safe.

About 300 competitors showed up to this event July 30-31st for the Ron Katona Memorial Autocross. The autocross was named after Ron due to his love and passion for autocrossing and trying to always helpe people. The foundation was formed to help novices get to National events.

The course was SO fast everywhere. Lee Piccone and Greg Olsen (I believe) designed the course. Lee always designs great courses and has done Nationals a couple of times.

Lots of sections where sphincter enduring spasms! Those who couldn't put the balls to the walls lost alot of time on the back section which was just basically flat pedal down on the floor. I ran a best of a 61.4, but I just knicked a cone one of my friends said so I had to stand on a 61.9. Which was good for 1st by .126 seconds!

Day 2 was just NUTS! That same section on the top of the page was even faster! And when I pulled into pits my 1st run my heart was thumping so fast. My best time was a 61.4 but I had one off course. Lots of shuffling behind me as a Celica driver pulled out an AWESOME run as well as a local philly guy who ran a 61.0 Luckily for me I had a nice buffer from day 1 that I took home MY FIRST MAJOR TROPHY! Woot!

And now I shall collapse on my bed
Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

congrats mikey
Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
CivicSiRacer

Thanks! It was a fun event!

Results are up from NE Divisionals: http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/results/20050730.php#STS

Now that I had a night of rest it's funny to think of where I was last year at the DC Tour and last year at NE Divisionals at Ripken (with Philly).

DC Tour I was 16th place out of like 18 cars
NE Divisionals I was 8th place out of 12 cars

I knew right there my car was holding me back because Kevin McIlvain let me co-drive his 1990 Civic Si on the 2nd day of the NE Divisionals and I ended up 3rd or 4th for Sunday. But since I was so far behind the 1st day I didn't move.

Also this weekend Markus won his first major trophy, Paul Sciukus attended his first National event and walked away with shredded tires. The caliber of drivers in attendance always amazes me with their talent. Mike & Carrie Snyder did great considering the condition of their tires.

Also the commraderie at the event was next to awesome! I saw people helping out people to the extreme. Joe Austin had completely hard racing rubber and Chris Travis (SM Civic) stepped in to help him out even though it was funny to see super wide tires sticking out of an HS Mini Cooper I saw so many people giving out advice the whole weekend and helping each other - this is one of the reasons why I love this sport. Even though we are all competitors we are still best friends.

I lended a hand to Okas Elam because his car died after his 1st run on Saturday. I'm not used to taking co-drivers because in STS tire heat is our #1 enemy. He was only able to get 1/2 way through the course when his Toyota Corolla died. He searched frantically for a ride before his 2nd runs. Unfortunately he missed his 2nd run and had to take his 3rd run in my car. He ended up with a 65.1, which put him in 11th I believe. Day 2 got me somewhat worried because I was in 1st from day one and having two drivers would definitely make more heat. But we both ended up running our fastest runs towards our last runs (me on my 2nd and him on his last) - so that blew the tire heat theory out of the water Okas moved up from 11th to 9th.

I also enjoyed the endless banter that I shared with my fellow competitors and friends. Even got a call at 9pm Saturday night from one of my STS competitors saying "You're going down tomorrow Mike! You're going down!!!" That was hilarious!

Many thanks to all that gave me tips both days - Alan, Jim, Dave, Mike & Carrie, Mike Steere, Chris & Kristell, Markus, all of the DC & Philly guys.

Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 04:45 PM
CivicSiRacer

Some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.-352_5248a.jpg   Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.-352_5249a.jpg  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:56 AM
CivicSiRacer

Better pic:
Attached Thumbnails Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.-sts_9a.jpg  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM
CivicSiRacer

My pictures are all up (finally) =) Videos will be soon (kinda busy doing registration for PA States).

http://home.comcast.net/~mikelouie/picturelinks.html
Old 08-06-2005, 02:13 AM
CivicSiRacer

Videos are up from my runs both days (please "RIGHT CLICK" & "SAVE AS"):

Day 1 - 73mb

Day 2 - 87mb
Old 08-06-2005, 02:18 AM
CivicSiRacer

Attached Thumbnails Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.-nediv05_3_248.jpg   Northeast Divisionals - Washington DC Region SCCA.-nediv05_3_245.jpg  
Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
azian21485

that course looked awesome..congrats on the win!