Notices

Alignment Issue

Old 07-27-2005, 03:13 PM
nate2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Issue

So, I hurt my precious car about 3 weeks ago. I went around a corner and lost control, then proceeded to drive up onto the median (which had a 4-5 inch curb). My front left wheel hit first (I went up the curb straight on, well at an angle) then back left and front right. The right rear never made it up though, I straightend the car out, which, in retrospect may have caused the damage. It looks like the right rear hit the curb sideways and pushed it out. My camber is off back there and Honda says they can't visually see anything wrong. Frame is fine, I checked that out. I'm tempted to just start replacing control arms and see where that takes me. I'm also going to need new shocks... I think! Any info or suggestions... or pity would be appreciated. Thanks. Nate
Old 07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by nate2000
So, I hurt my precious car about 3 weeks ago. I went around a corner and lost control, then proceeded to drive up onto the median (which had a 4-5 inch curb). My front left wheel hit first (I went up the curb straight on, well at an angle) then back left and front right. The right rear never made it up though, I straightend the car out, which, in retrospect may have caused the damage. It looks like the right rear hit the curb sideways and pushed it out. My camber is off back there and Honda says they can't visually see anything wrong. Frame is fine, I checked that out. I'm tempted to just start replacing control arms and see where that takes me. I'm also going to need new shocks... I think! Any info or suggestions... or pity would be appreciated. Thanks. Nate
Just take it to a good alignment shop, let them do the best they can and sell it... It'll never be the same.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:13 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nate2000
First get it aligned and have all the wheels and tires spin balanced to make sure they aren't bent. Then you'll have to visually inspect each suspension component very carefully if that doesn't do it.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Ochdx

I believe it's not worth even attempting to repair a car where suspension components were bent. If you control arms were bent, chances are your frame cross member is also bent, and even after you replace control arms, you still wont be able to get proper alignment. You'll probably get your toe correct, but not your caster and camber.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:31 PM
cwood1388

check the componets it may just be a bent control arm. if that is the case you can diagnose it farther by putting it on a frame machine. hope that helps
Old 08-01-2005, 07:22 PM
VTEC-Power

most people make a mistake when balancing, so make sure your tire pressure is correct, if not it can mess up your alignment no matter how good you do it