Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: how to change 96-00 gauge cluster light

Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: how to change 96-00 gauge cluster light

Ok this is a basic how to explaining the way you would go about changing the light on a 96-00 civic.(this is from a 00 civic si but i believe this will work for 96-00 civics) I took pics myself and will include instructions but will also include links to other relevent post to help further.

Things you will need:
-Phillips head screw driver
-tape
-scissors
-strobe light colored filter(what ever color you want the light to be)
-patience
apporx. time is about 30 mins depending on ability

Here are the strobe light filters that i had

Step 1:
Remove screws that hold the outer plastic trim

Step 2:
Pull out(w/ a downward foward motion) from the top of the plastic trim

Step 3:
Pop out the bottom of the plastic trim by pulling up and out on each side of the plastic trim

Step 4:
Remove the bottom inner screws that hold the actual gauge cluster(2 total- one on each side)

Step 5:
Remove top inner screws of the gauge cluster(2 total- one on each side)

Step 6:
Remove cluster (be careful of harnesses in the rear)

Step 7:
Remove the 4 harness plugs from the rear

Now you can tilt the cluster up and see at the top the plastic piece(piece should be black with a couple of light blue spots for the light to come through that we'll be changing(in this pic its already changed)

Step 8:
Now the cluster is out pop the clear tabs(6 i believe in total) and remove clear gauge lens

Step 9:
Pop the black tabs(6 as well ) and take out the top right bulb that has the wires coming off it and then remove the black inner trim of the cluster

Step 10:
Now that the trim piece is removed you can see from the top the piece that will be changed....just remove the piece

The way i changed it was by cutting into the piece and removing most of the center of the plastic "lens" and then i took the strobe light filter(in my case i used blue) and cut the right size strips and taped them down...i had to use two strips long ways to fill in the cut out are but did two layers for the right blue effect i desired(i installed the cluster with just one layer and the light only had a slight blue color so i removed it and added the second layer i already spoke of)

Now just put the now modified light filter back into the gauge cluster trim and reverse steps to reinstall...Enjoy your improved gauge cluster!

Here is a link to a DIY on how to change the rear bulbs of the gauge cluster for a 92-95 civic...this is cluster is a little diff. but not much....
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=174005

Here is another link on how to change the bulbs (w/ diagram and bulb sizes on page 3 of the thread).........
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=136170

Here is a link for gauge cluster(and other automotive bulbs) replacement bulbs and led bulbs..................
http://autolumination.com/74.htm

PS will post pics of final results later
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM
ek3_rs

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
Ok this is a basic how to explaining the way you would go about changing the light on a 96-00 civic.(this is from a 00 civic si but i believe this will work for 96-00 civics) I took pics myself and will include instructions but will also include links to other relevent post to help further.

Things you will need:
-Phillips head screw driver
-tape
-scissors
-strobe light colored filter(what ever color you want the light to be)
-patience
apporx. time is about 30 mins depending on ability

Here are the strobe light filters that i had

Step 1:
Remove screws that hold the outer plastic trim

Step 2:
Pull out(w/ a downward foward motion) from the top of the plastic trim

Step 3:
Pop out the bottom of the plastic trim by pulling up and out on each side of the plastic trim

Step 4:
Remove the bottom inner screws that hold the actual gauge cluster(2 total- one on each side)

Step 5:
Remove top inner screws of the gauge cluster(2 total- one on each side)

Step 6:
Remove cluster (be careful of harnesses in the rear)

Step 7:
Remove the 4 harness plugs from the rear

Now you can tilt the cluster up and see at the top the plastic piece(piece should be black with a couple of light blue spots for the light to come through that we'll be changing(in this pic its already changed)

Step 8:
Now the cluster is out pop the clear tabs(6 i believe in total) and remove clear gauge lens

Step 9:
Pop the black tabs(6 as well ) and take out the top right bulb that has the wires coming off it and then remove the black inner trim of the cluster

Step 10:
Now that the trim piece is removed you can see from the top the piece that will be changed....just remove the piece

The way i changed it was by cutting into the piece and removing most of the center of the plastic "lens" and then i took the strobe light filter(in my case i used blue) and cut the right size strips and taped them down...i had to use two strips long ways to fill in the cut out are but did two layers for the right blue effect i desired(i installed the cluster with just one layer and the light only had a slight blue color so i removed it and added the second layer i already spoke of)

Now just put the now modified light filter back into the gauge cluster trim and reverse steps to reinstall...Enjoy your improved gauge cluster!

Here is a link to a DIY on how to change the rear bulbs of the gauge cluster for a 92-95 civic...this is cluster is a little diff. but not much....
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=174005

Here is another link on how to change the bulbs (w/ diagram and bulb sizes on page 3 of the thread).........
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=136170

Here is a link for gauge cluster(and other automotive bulbs) replacement bulbs and led bulbs..................

PS will post pics of final results later
Nice writeup, do you have a pics of your improved guage cluster to share with us before we commit into it. Appreciate...
Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 AM
loprofilefl
N/A noob

does anyone know the number of the gauge illumination bulbs?

i would like to order blue LEDs but i can't find specific info anywhere.

i am talking about the two bulbs at the top of the gauge cluster, they shine down on the face of the gauges (not the backlit ones to the speedo/odo).

if i had to guess, i'd say #74 or #24 but meh....

Last edited by loprofilefl; 06-13-2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 06-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

loprofilefl:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=136170

Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

pics coming when i can find someone with a decent camera...i also just did that little trick to make your Si embelm on the cluster glow but now my fuel/temp gauges are screwed up so i gotta figure that out
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM
2skys1imit3

wow...very nice and cost effective way to change Gauges to look like new or something much better than that
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Brad_Pitt

yes you are right...!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Docker

[TABLE="width: 1056"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 1056"]Great step-by-step guide Mugenfreak. Much appreciated.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]