Notices

Dyno result: 99 Accord F23A1 turbo @ 9-8 psi

Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 PM
ashzero
turbo mafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno result: 99 Accord F23A1 turbo @ 9-8 psi

Holy cow, I haven't been here in a looong time. How have you been kiddies.

Finally got my AEM EMS street/dyno tuned week ago. In 99 degrees, 115 heat index weather (inside the shop), we had some trouble keeping the intake air temp. down, but successfully managed to tune the car with pretty conservative timing.

Tuning was done by jdogg over at h-t. Dyno was done at Carolina Auto Masters in NC.

The final figure ended up being 222hp and 222ft/lbs of torque. Not bad considering that my peak boost was 9psi and it was dropping off to 8psi near the redline.

Here's the dyno chart:

Here's a vid:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jmin/dyno/MVI_0817.AVI

Oh yeah, the dyno chart's smoothing was at zero, which is a reason for crazy jagginess. VTEC was set at 2600rpm and any load higher than -1 psi. This basically makes VTEC only come on when I step on it after 2600rpm.

Here's the setup:

Engine/turbo parts:
F23A1
Turbonetics T3/T04e 50trim .63AR turbine
Tial 35mm wastegate
Ebay Manual Boost Controller (to be changed to GM boost solenoid this weekend - to be controlled electronically by AEM EMS)
Spearco Intercooler
450cc DSM injector with OBD1 Honda resistor box
Walbro 255lph intank pump (for 94-97 accord)
Drag Gen4 charge pipings
Blitz DD BOV
Intake (smack middle of engine, need some heat shielding)

Exhaust components (huge bottleneck, but VA law prohibits any aftermarket exhaust):
2.5" DRAG Downpipe
2" flex pipe (CHOKE POINT. Don't ask me why.)
2.5" Carsound Catalytic converter
2.5" mid-pipe that splits into dual 2.25" pipes (dual exhaust conversion)
Stock S2000 mufflers (2" inlets, or something close to it)

Electronics:
Autometer EGT/Boost/AF gauges
PLX M300 Wideband with Autometer interface kit
AEM EMS

The engine is all stock and I've been running 10psi since April of 2003. I ran AFC hack for good year or so before changing it to AEM EMS. I was running 9psi at the dyno because I had some issue with my MBC, which decided to crap out on me week prior to the tuning. But I fixed the spring to hold 9psi of boost at peak, which dropped to ~8psi after 5500rpm.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Sweet, nice post.

Do you have a list of changes and/or problems that you have needed to resolve from your sig link post to the results we see on the Dyno now?

This is exactly the type of wealth and info the Accord forum needs...

Great post! :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2005, 04:33 PM
ashzero
turbo mafia

Originally Posted by MrChad
Sweet, nice post.

Do you have a list of changes and/or problems that you have needed to resolve from your sig link post to the results we see on the Dyno now?

This is exactly the type of wealth and info the Accord forum needs...

Great post! :thumbup:
basically when i wrote up that post in my sig, i was still running AFC hack...which trims the fuel down by -40% or so...stock injector = 230cc, dsm injector = 450cc, so we do the math and trim the entire range of fuel for low map and modify the high map for boost... the problem with this method is that we can't control the ign timing advance going from partial throttle to full throttle...

just a cheap way to get by until i could get a decent fuel management...

so i installed a AEM EMS and this allows me to dial in every ignition and fuel parameter...got it off eBay for $830 and combined with wideband AFR meter, i can see exactly how the car is running. for an instance, you want 11.5~12.5 under boost and 14.7~16.5 while coasting/idling...and EMS lets me change all of that, including ignition timing (under load/rpm) and fuel parameters.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:55 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

sweet stuff, any shots of the mufflers?
Old 07-23-2005, 08:58 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that torque curve is beautiful, nice job

What kind of MPG do you get on the highway with that thing?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 PM
ashzero
turbo mafia

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Damn that torque curve is beautiful, nice job

What kind of MPG do you get on the highway with that thing?
thanks. MPG is surprisingly good since in partial throttle situation my afr is 15~16.

actually, my torque curve would even more beautiful if i had my old exhaust setup. i used to have 4.5" N1 style mufflers on them. i could've swear that i build boost at least 500rpm sooner than now. currently, i had to switch to stock mufflers since in VA anything aftermarket exhaust is subject to 85 dollar ticket. 3 of those tickets had me changing my exhaust.

here's the shot of the stock s2k mufflers on dual conversion:
Old 07-24-2005, 08:24 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I can't believe you got tickets for an exhaust conversion as mild as that. That's so ridiculous. Do you get above 25 on the highway? I've always wondered how much custom turbos like your setup that don't go crazy but make quite a bit of power hurt MPG.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:21 AM
ashzero
turbo mafia

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Wow I can't believe you got tickets for an exhaust conversion as mild as that. That's so ridiculous. Do you get above 25 on the highway? I've always wondered how much custom turbos like your setup that don't go crazy but make quite a bit of power hurt MPG.
actually, the above setup is the one that allows me to drive everyday. now imagine those mufflers replaced with 2 N1s...that was getting ticket left and right.

the MPG is good i think, on highway trip, i hit about 400 with full tank. but when i get on it, damn it eats up fuel like nobody's business. but i guess you can't have it all?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Accord |v6|

Default 1999 accord OEM for sale neone?

Anyone know where i can find a 98-99 OEM rear bumper lip for my 2002 accord? Can't find it!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:25 AM
RealDeal
Raleigh, NC

Small world. I got my old '02 SS dyno-tuned at CAM. He got 482rwhp and 583ft-lb out of an intake/exhaust/lt/mild cam/125-shot nitrous, stock fuel system, stock engine (other than mild cam - for sound only). I still got great gas mileage, and she was making over 400rwhp at only 3,000rpm.