Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Sqealing in the real axle

Old 07-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Homesn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqealing in the real axle

Lately my 97' 2.2 CL has been making a metal on metal sqealing sound in the rear. I have checked my rotor and they are fine, would it be my bearings? It changes with the speed so I am assuming it has something to do with the rotation of the tires. Anyone ever had this happen? Any help is appreciated.

thx
Old 07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
foot

Brake pad sensor? It is a small metal tab that once your pads wear down to a certain point it scrapes against the rotor.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Homesn

I thought it might be that, but the rotors are perfectly smooth and the pads are ok. Any other ideas?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If the pads and rotors are good and the caliper isn't sticking, I would definitely assume wheel bearing. How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you only check the outboard brake pads? If the caliper slide pins are crappy, one of the inboard pads might be almost worn down. The inboard ones are the ones that have the screetch tabs on them.

Then check out the wheel bearing. That's a good possibility.

If it's a real ugly grinding sound, you may have a small stone stuck between the rotor & the splash sheild. That happened to me, it was such a horrible sound, then it suddenly quit when the stone fell out on the ground.