Notices

94 integra park brake won't hold?

Old 06-08-2005, 08:41 PM
scjrace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 integra park brake won't hold?

What am I doing wrong? Had a rebuilt rear caliper on the pass. side when I got the car. Caliper is still in like new condition. I replaced driver side seized rear caliper with a rebuilt. Both are Nissin oem. The rear pads are nearly like new Nissin, I can see the brand stamping on them. Previous owner cheaped out and only did the pass. caliper so he got no warranty on the brake job. He had it done at the dealer. Since the driver caliper was seized, the pass. side brake cable was doing all the work. After I replaced the driver caliper, the park brake equalizer was crooked because the pass. brake cable was stretched. I replaced the pass. side brake cable, and now the equalizer is straight with both cables tensioning evenly. I also replaced the clevis pins and clips that attach the cable ends to the calipers. Everything moves freely. I've got the park brake adjusted to get between 6 to 9 clicks maximum as per spec, but the park brake doesn't grab at all. With the back in the air, and the wheels spinning, the foot brake stops the wheels instantly though. The slots on the piston faces are lined up with the lumps on the pad brackets. The car has been driven lots to try and adjust the brake with usage, but no effect.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:30 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

You're almost done.
You've got one point of adjustment left.
I think it's the equalizer itself that needs to be adjusted.
There is an adjustment nut on the end of the cable that "carries" the equalizer.

1) Pull the parking brake handle up to the first notch.
2) Tighten the adjustment nut until the rear wheels drag slightly when turned.
3) Release the parking brake and check to see that the rear wheels do not drag at all with the brake released. Re-adjust if needed.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 PM
honura
Seni

Now this has got to be one of the rarest post. This guy explained 110% of his problem. Dahm I wish all quesions where like yours.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Oh, and I forgot.. :cheers: Welcome to HAN. Enjoy your stay.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

My parking brake doesn't hold very well at all. Pulled up all the way and I can still drive. I heard that with most cars theres a way to get it tightened again by driving in reverse and slamming on the brakes or something. Is the only way to tighten the parking brake to way TheOtherDave said?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
My parking brake doesn't hold very well at all. Pulled up all the way and I can still drive. I heard that with most cars theres a way to get it tightened again by driving in reverse and slamming on the brakes or something. Is the only way to tighten the parking brake to way TheOtherDave said?
I've never heard that one.

I would just do what TheOtherDave recommended. It is obviously an issue with the equalizer behind the parking brake handle.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 AM
scjrace

Thanks for the feedback. However, I did go thru the park brake adjustment procedure by the book, or more aptly the factory service cd I have. It's as you suggested Dave, but the problem is I can't get the wheels to drag no matter how much I tension the equalizer. I'm thinking I'll have to thread out the caliper pistons as much as possible until I can just fit the pads over the rotors and try again. I thought they were self adjusting, but maybe not.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
The method I listed came straight from the Helms Factory Service Manual for a 97 Integra.

The method you mentioned will only make your rear tires square. h:

:chuckles: