Notices

Ring problems??

Old 06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
honura
Seni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring problems??

Ok I have smoke coming out of the brether on the valve cover. It was a fully stock ls motor and it was doing this. I bought a VTEC head and slapped it on and the samething. I get shitty shitty power from this setup and even when it was an LS. Now VTEC opens but it's super weak. Timing is on point. The block is a 95 with a type R head(B16 everything). So do you guys think it';s the piston rings causing the problem? Thanks for the help. Im gonna do a COMP TEST and see what #'s I come up with. I think 175 across the board should be good right? Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'm not a betting man, but it's likey that the piston rings are shot. It is possible that the valve seals are shot on your VTEC head, but that wouldn't explain the lagging power with the non-VTEC head.

If the compression is low on a given cylinder (>150), squirt a fine mist of oil into the combustion chamber and re-test that cylinder. If the numbers improve, then you've got your answer.

As you rebuild, take the time to fit the GSR oil pump and block girdle. If you've got the budget, you might as well upgrade to forged pistons and rods. At the very least, upgrade the rod bolts on the stock con-rods.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:37 PM
honura
Seni

Well at the moment I am going to be moving down to FL. So Im just gonna get a heathy LS,b20 block and live with it till I settle into my new home. Once everything is set and done then I will upgrade the shit outta the ls block In the car now.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

if it was bad rings, you would also be burning oil on a weekly basis, and having to top it off a lot, and it would smoke on acceleration. If it's valve seals, same thing, but it will smoke on deceleration, or right after with a little back fire.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:01 AM
honura
Seni

The noise sounds funny as well from my muffler. errrrrrr