Notices

I suck at diy (need shock help)

Old 06-05-2005, 08:24 PM
xXkenXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I suck at diy (need shock help)

ok so i ran into a little problem putting in my rear shock. I snapped the bolt on the LCA that holds the shock in. I'm sure some one has ran into this problem before. What should I do? The darn thing is seized in too.I was thinking about cutting out the bolt and burning the bushing out and replacing the bushing and bolt. Is the bushing replacable or is this not possible? Any other solutions would really help. I already tried PB Blaster and brute force and my best friend mr. hammer and mr. vise grip. Is replacing the LCA too dramatic?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by xXkenXx
ok so i ran into a little problem putting in my rear shock. I snapped the bolt on the LCA that holds the shock in. I'm sure some one has ran into this problem before. What should I do? The darn thing is seized in too.I was thinking about cutting out the bolt and burning the bushing out and replacing the bushing and bolt. Is the bushing replacable or is this not possible? Any other solutions would really help. I already tried PB Blaster and brute force and my best friend mr. hammer and mr. vise grip. Is replacing the LCA too dramatic?
You are on the right track. If you take it to Honda, that is what they will do. The same thing happened to me and they basically took a torch, melted the bushing out and pressed out the remaining. The bolt is a 10-1.25 x 84mm. It is a hard bolt to find in a hardware store as it is not very common, but you can find them. Just make sure it is a grade 8 bolt otherwise it could snap. If you want a genuine Honda one, they are about $10 at the dealer. I believe the bushing is about $20. If you want them to put it in, it will run you $50-$75 depending on the labor rate at the shop. This is a very common problem. You are not alone!
Good luck!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
xXkenXx

i'm kinda thinking about doing this myself again... I'm not sure. I have all the tools at work and the parts guy comes by like everyday anyways. I can just throw my order in. But then again I do get labor for half off ($35/hr). Well I guess if i want to learn something I should just go for it. Anyways thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 AM
carta79
Life after death

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1025

Check if you can see that article, it might help.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

happens to everyone that trys to do there rears....all honda's have that problem
Old 06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by SP00NFed
happens to everyone that trys to do there rears....all honda's have that problem
Never happened to me on any of the three suspension jobs I have done. h:
Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Never happened to me on any of the three suspension jobs I have done. h:
Depends on the area you are in. I live in Wisconsin so snow = salt and rust = sux to do rear. h:
Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 AM
reno96teg

yikes..

if you're going to try to get it out with brute force, do this:

- unbolt the entire LCA, and bring the shock and LCA out as one piece. the other two bolts on the LCA don't seize like that shock bolt does. any decent impact wrench should get them out.
- find yourself a strong drill bit that can handle drilling forged steel. it should be approx. the width of the bolt, and it should be a strong drill.
- mount the LCA down in a vice or something so that will it will not move.
- start drilling the bolt out, from the snapped end.. if you have a grinder, it's not a bad idea to grind off the welded nut, so that you can drill from either end of the bolt. this will also help in case you're worried about going off track and drilling into the bushing.

it will take some effort and a little time, but if you have a steady arm, you'll save yourself any extra work of replacing the bushing, and your method of attack focuses on just one point.

this is what i had to do for both rear LCAs and the only extra thing i had to pay for was new bolts.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Mikerike

:blue: :blue:
Originally Posted by reno96teg
yikes..

if you're going to try to get it out with brute force, do this:

- unbolt the entire LCA, and bring the shock and LCA out as one piece. the other two bolts on the LCA don't seize like that shock bolt does. any decent impact wrench should get them out.
- find yourself a strong drill bit that can handle drilling forged steel. it should be approx. the width of the bolt, and it should be a strong drill.
- mount the LCA down in a vice or something so that will it will not move.
- start drilling the bolt out, from the snapped end.. if you have a grinder, it's not a bad idea to grind off the welded nut, so that you can drill from either end of the bolt. this will also help in case you're worried about going off track and drilling into the bushing.

it will take some effort and a little time, but if you have a steady arm, you'll save yourself any extra work of replacing the bushing, and your method of attack focuses on just one point.

this is what i had to do for both rear LCAs and the only extra thing i had to pay for was new bolts.

Reno is on the right track, but I would suggest that you use a significantly smaller drill to start a "pilot" hole- possibly a 1/8" drill bit. This will allow for a truer bore with the larger drill bit.
As far as replacemnet bolts, my local NAPA store had everything I needed when I did my rear suspension.
If you know someone with a drill press that is the way to go.
Patience will be your greatest ally. :blue:
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 AM
honura
Seni

Are you trying to replace the shock? If so you should just shave off the bolt that is welded onto the shock and then slide off the rest of it right out. No need to burn the shit out of the bushing if your trying to replace the shock. I just woke up so sorry if someone else thought of this b4 me. I did not read the whole thing. Anyways,, It happend to me as well and man it sucks. Just shave off the bolt on the other end if your replaceing the shock. Goodluck.