Notices

Going turbo...will the B18B handle it?

Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Jo3f1sh
waiting for boost...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going turbo...will the B18B handle it?

Well, here's the thing...the bottom end is a B18B, but my head is off of a Type R B18C. I was told the bottom end was rebuilt, but even so, i'm just curious if the internals will handle higher revs and even boost. My fuel and ignition setup is perfect for adding a turbo, but i'm just afraid i'll hear a bang in the very near future with forced induction.

Anyone else have a B18B pushing a turbo? hanging in there well? Any info is appreciated. Sorry, i'm new to the Integra scene...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Jo3f1sh
Well, here's the thing...the bottom end is a B18B, but my head is off of a Type R B18C. I was told the bottom end was rebuilt, but even so, i'm just curious if the internals will handle higher revs and even boost. My fuel and ignition setup is perfect for adding a turbo, but i'm just afraid i'll hear a bang in the very near future with forced induction.

Anyone else have a B18B pushing a turbo? hanging in there well? Any info is appreciated. Sorry, i'm new to the Integra scene...
The only way to really be sure is with a compression and leakdown test to make sure everything is in good order.

How is your fuel and ignition setup perfect for turbo? Are you running a standalone ECU, 440cc injectors, upgraded ignition system, higher volume fuel pump, etc, etc?

As long as your engine shows good compression/leakdown numbers before you boost and then you have it tuned with a reliable method, you shouldn't have any problems at all.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:58 PM
shabacash
I'M SO JDM, I HAVE SARS

how much of an advantage is it to boost on an obd1 compared to an obd2, cuz i really dont want to deal with nonsence when it comes to that time of the year.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by shabacash
how much of an advantage is it to boost on an obd1 compared to an obd2, cuz i really dont want to deal with nonsence when it comes to that time of the year.
The OBD1 ECU is chippable, wheras, the OBD2 ECU is not. That is all.

It is always best to run a chipped, tunable ECU than a piggyback or FMU when running boost, so if you have to deal with smog, you can swap the stock ECU in and use the fueling method provided with the kit.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Jo3f1sh
waiting for boost...

Originally Posted by Shmoo
The only way to really be sure is with a compression and leakdown test to make sure everything is in good order.

How is your fuel and ignition setup perfect for turbo? Are you running a standalone ECU, 440cc injectors, upgraded ignition system, higher volume fuel pump, etc, etc?

As long as your engine shows good compression/leakdown numbers before you boost and then you have it tuned with a reliable method, you shouldn't have any problems at all.
i guess a compression/leakdown test would ease my worries. as far as my setup, it should have an upgraded pump. i'm not sure but if it doesn't, it's def. getting one. it should have 440c's and it does have Hondata. I'll add an MSD ignition here in the future as well. other than that i'm really just depending on the bottom end. iguess if the numbers check out OK, it should be fine...thanks for the advice bro.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

i guess a compression/leakdown test would ease my worries. as far as my setup, it should have an upgraded pump. i'm not sure but if it doesn't, it's def. getting one. it should have 440c's and it does have Hondata. I'll add an MSD ignition here in the future as well. other than that i'm really just depending on the bottom end. iguess if the numbers check out OK, it should be fine...thanks for the advice bro.
You don't need an upgrade ignition system.

The fuel pump, hondata, larger injectors, and FPR would make a great fuel system ready for boost.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Jo3f1sh
waiting for boost...

i guess that would be enough, but i had an MSD 6A on my 5.0, and since then i then i've been addicted. i guess it'd really just be for additional tuneability. figured i'd go with a SCI-L with the MSD dist. cap with a Blaster 2 coil. a good well rounded ignition setup for street and strip. until i scrape up another $250 i'll just get the dist. and coil for now. I'll probably get the ignition during the same time as the turbo seeing as how i'll be dumping an assload of $$$ anyway.

I've still got a bit of research to do anyway. guess i'll keep asking for advice!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

While the stresses of FI shouldn't be discounted...I'm more worried about your bottom end.
[The engine's...that is. :chuckles:]

How well was this LS-VTEC built? Did they just slap the GSR head on and call it good or did they properly reinforce the bottom end? In the absence of concrete proof, I'd make damn sure they built a strong bottom end before boosting the motor.

I'd upgrade the oil pump, install a GSR girdle, and definitely upgrade all the conrod studs. In fact, if you've got the time and money, I'd upgrade to forged pistons and connecting rods.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Jo3f1sh
waiting for boost...

i'm pretty sure it's just a factory rebuild. so i guess built would be an overstatemant. do you think with the price of building up this block i could just get a GSR B18C? although it'd be a stock B18C, i'm sure it'd fair better than the B18B in there now.

i guess the question i have now is, build up the B18B or buy a B18C?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

i'm pretty sure it's just a factory rebuild. so i guess built would be an overstatemant. do you think with the price of building up this block i could just get a GSR B18C? although it'd be a stock B18C, i'm sure it'd fair better than the B18B in there now.

i guess the question i have now is, build up the B18B or buy a B18C?
You've got some real potential with a boosted LS-VTEC.
What you lose in rev capability you make up for in displacement.

Even if the compression numbers are crap and the bottom end is stock, I'd stick with the motor you've got. For the cost of a B18C, you could easily rebuild the bottom end to handle sustained high-rpm operation with boost.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!