Notices

Shifter Bushings

Old 05-30-2005, 06:48 AM
94ntegls
Whassup!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Bushings

Hey, I'm supposed to get my DC Short Shifter installed tomorrow and my Energy Suspension Bushings I bought off of Ebay haven't showed up yet. Should I get the Short Shifter installed tomorrow and then just install the bushings later? I'm getting the short shifter profesionally installed. Can I install the bushings later myself? is it easy? I know I have seen a lot of articles on here to install the short shifter yourself but when it comes to my tranny I want it to be done right. thanks alot everyone.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:30 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... Installing a shifter is probably one of the simplest mods you can do. Why are you having a shop do it? :thinking:

I'd install it all at the same time, but it's not that hard to add them later.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:37 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94ntegls
I know I have seen a lot of articles on here to install the short shifter yourself but when it comes to my tranny I want it to be done right.
If you get it done at all, odds are its done right. Seriously, all you need for this mod is a pair or jack-stands and a couple wrenches. Have a little confidence in yourself And just wait till you have all the parts and do it all at once.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:57 AM
94ntegls
Whassup!!

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
Dude... Installing a shifter is probably one of the simplest mods you can do. Why are you having a shop do it?
The shop is only charging me 20 bucks for labor. I figure that's pretty good. So can I install the bushings later? What would be involved in that? Are the bushings going to make a huge difference?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:18 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94ntegls
The shop is only charging me 20 bucks for labor. I figure that's pretty good. So can I install the bushings later? What would be involved in that? Are the bushings going to make a huge difference?
to install the bushings you need to unbolt the stabilizer rod (one of the shift linkage rods) from the transmission and press out the old bushing, press in the new one and bolt it back up... this can be done with your bare hands if you put some muscle into it, otherwise, you may need to remove the rod completely and use your body weight (step on the bushing until it presses in). On the other end, you simply unbolt the two bolts that hold the funny-shaped bushing in, pull it off, slip the new one on and bolt it back on.

I guess thes multiple DIY's you've seen might have told you that:thinking:

Seriously though, doing the bushings is almost as much work as doing the bushings AND the shifter, it still seems silly to pay somebody to do 1/4 of the job when the whole thing is a 30 minute opperation anyway. :dunno:
Old 05-30-2005, 10:01 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Have them do the bushings, you can do the stabilizer one while they have the shifter out. It's one more bolt to pull off the other bushing on the transmission end, pop it out and press it in. So, if you want to take them the long flat one and have them replace your stock one while they are doing your shifter and do your other later, it'd only be one bolt.

But, while they have it up I'd have them do the other bushing as well.

I've done 3 Bushing/Shifter installs personally, super easy.

duck squad member #00003