Notices

What should be my 1/4 goal with this new setup?

Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 PM
teg_fan
I like integra's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should be my 1/4 goal with this new setup?

Well Im going to be putting in another b18c1 into my car in a few weeks that will have some aftermarket parts in/on it...

my car: 97 gsr 2dr, full interior

new engine:

B18c1
-skunk2 stage 2 cams
-skunk2 valvetrain
-ctr pistons .25 over.. (12.9:1 CR w/ cometic head gasket)
-balanced rotating assembly
-bigger injectors
-jdm itr header
-high flow cat
-greddy evo
-skunk 2 intake manifold
-aem cai
-9lb flywheel
-skunk2 cam gears

think thats it....

the car will be tuned using crome, or possibly other programs and an itr ecu maybe (still workin on that part).

I have the oem 97 gsr wheels (ls mesh) with bf goodrich g-force TA tires.

The local honda guru had a similar setup in the past and it felt pretty fast; he estimated that it could run a 13.9 with ample tuning and good rubber. What do you think, with proper tuning and 1/4 mile practice, should 13.9 be my goal?

note: I plan on removing the rear seats, spare tire and jack when I run on the track. It will also have a cf hood on it.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:42 PM
dubcac
I

I'd think you could go mid 13's at least with good driving and some drag radials...maybe faster. Is that cometic headgasket you are using stock thickness or smaller? If it's smaller, you may want to run something stock size...or you might get some piston/valve contact with that cam/piston/headgasket combo.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would shoot for low 14s for now. Get a little more comfortable with your setup and your racing abilities and then shoot for 13's.

I hope you get it tuned with a standalone ECU and race fuel before racing it because of the very high compression. Once you chip out an ECU, it won't matter if it is a P73, P72, or P28. Save yourself the hassle and chip out an OBD1 P72 for the tuning program of your choice.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tune tune tune... that could be a 13.xx second setup, but good tuning is a must not only for power production, but with that kind of compression, for reliability as well.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:09 AM
pomansouth

imma tell you right now, you will not recieve full power from those pistons, and further more you will be able to have a more powerfull motor with a lower compression, maybe like 12:1 or a hair lower, remember you are running pump gas and that this is a daily driver...that motor will most likely not be that fun of a motor to run daily either because of the lack of midrange power. You should be able to turn 13's easy, but for the same amount of money, you can turn 12's. Get a thicker head gasket, and a pair of bc3+'s and I think you will be alot happier with that motor. Good luck with the build.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:06 PM
teg_fan
I like integra's

An ecu will be chipped for this setup as some of you were implying. Master yodub, Im planning on using a thicker than stock head gasket to bump the CR down to the mid to high 12's instead of low 13's. Thanks a lot for all of your input.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by teg_fan
An ecu will be chipped for this setup as some of you were implying. Master yodub, Im planning on using a thicker than stock head gasket to bump the CR down to the mid to high 12's instead of low 13's. Thanks a lot for all of your imput.
why not just get jdm itr pistons instead? that would be easier than layering on headgaskets. i would also look into getting a 2.5" exhaust from the cat back to prevent any bottlenecks.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:14 PM
teg_fan
I like integra's

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
why not just get jdm itr pistons instead? that would be easier than layering on headgaskets. i would also look into getting a 2.5" exhaust from the cat back to prevent any bottlenecks.
I didnt go with jdm itr pistons because I wanted a higher compression ratio than they offer so that I can really see some gains from my cams. Im going with these cams and the other skunk2 products because I am getting a good deal on them off of a local honda engine builder. I was looking for p30 pistons before, but was having troubles finding them, many places claimed they had them but actually didnt have any in stock, therefore I went back to my original decision..t to go with the ctr's. Im looking into getting a custom build 2.5" stainless exhaust as well.
Schmoo, I do plan on taking it a little easy at the track at first since I have never drag raced before and I could use a lot of practice launching.

After the car is tuned using a chipped ecu and most likely Crome, I was thinking of having it dyno tuned by Jeff Evans or possibly Hybrid Dynamics. Does anyone else have an input on my setup or maybe who to get it dyno tuned by?