Notices

help my car is overheating!

Old 05-29-2005, 03:02 PM
TheKillaColonel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help my car is overheating!

Hey guys
First let me say that this forum is great. the community has welcomed me with minimum amounts of flaming. Well this morning I started driving my car as a usally do and the needle started jamming pass the H on my temp gauge. I pulled over and immidiately opened the hood and smoke was pouring out. I also saw that the coolent resivour was empty. I poured coolant into the resivior up to the line and let it cool. Also I noticed the fan was not spining. I need to get the fan fixed and I think this will fix the problem. give me your 2 cents please.

kern
Old 05-29-2005, 03:04 PM
dubcac
I

Have you noticed any coolant leaking? How full is the coolant in the radiator? Let the car idle in your garage/driveway and listen to see if the fans kick on...check for leaks, check the fluid level in the radiator.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:18 PM
TheKillaColonel

So The Fan Doesn't Always Spin All The Time?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:24 PM
dubcac
I

No it doesn't spin all the time. It turns on once the coolant reaches a certain temperature.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Tobra

The radiator may have split, when you put coolant in the reservoir, did it suck back into the radiator? If the rad is cracked, it will not. I know this, because I just replaced my radiator at about 125,000 miles. It was surprisingly expensive. That stopleak stuff is nasty, but it will buy you some time. IF you have to replace it, AND you decide to go aftermarket, you will have to rig something up to use stock fans, and may have to get thinner, aftermarket ones. If you have to replace the rad, do the uper, lower hoses, and one to heater core at same time.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:36 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

either bad radiator,bad hose or the water pump is bad.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Tobra

You will see it steaming out the crack in the rad if there is one, it is an aluminum core with plastic top and bottom epoxied on, tends to split at seam. Could be a thermostat too, I suppose.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:06 PM
pierced1

Dont use the stop leak, i did and 3 days later my water pump went out....could just be coinsidence though......just my .02 cents
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
TheKillaColonel

i just poured a bottle of antifreeze in the radioator and its been working fine for 2 days now. i will update this if any problems arise. still might be a leak

kern
Old 05-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Poorboyz

Originally Posted by TheKillaColonel
i just poured a bottle of antifreeze in the radioator and its been working fine for 2 days now. i will update this if any problems arise. still might be a leak

kern

I had a leak and couldn't figure it out until my girlfriend got in the car with me. It was leaking from inside the car at the heater core. I bypassed it for now since I live in Florida.