Notices

too much for alternator?

Old 05-28-2005, 04:56 AM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much for alternator?

We are taking a trip in july to florida, and maryland from PA. SO i was thinking it would be kinda cool if i could get my ps2 hooked up, and 2 6 or 7...probably 2 6'' LCD's installed in the teg.

Now will having these 2 LCD's screens, a PS2 and subs draw too much power from my teg?

If it is too much power would i just be able to dissconnect the power wire for the subs while using the ps2 and tv's and be fine.

Just asking before i go ahead and buy the lcd's.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:18 AM
japanbran

you should be fine. i had a 15inch sub, two amps,tv,ps2 and dvd player. it was fine. just dont use it non stop..
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Brar
|:]

capacitor could help...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:19 PM
mikemerc85
Git-R-Done

Originally Posted by [Damnit]
capacitor could help...
i agree. I mean if your takin a trip to florida u dont anything unexpected to happen. The capacitor will help u out alot. I mean yeah all ur lcds and ps2 will work but will tend to draw more power from the battery and at night u'll see that ur headlights will dim just a little. So its like yeah u can hook up all the stuff and itll b fine wit ur alternator but id stay on the safe side. U dont wanna end up in the breakdown lane. and yes itll help a little if you disconnect ur subs, cause ur using less power.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:04 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

thats what im going to do i think. With my setup of subs my fuse i can just push a button and it will open the circuit and cut power. SO i gess when we get tires of the ps2 at a truck stop ill turn them off and turn on the subs.

Now, i have 2 more questions.

#1 1 lcd is going in the passenger visor. Where is a good spot to mount one so the passengers can view. The only idea i have is cut into the passenger seat and mount it there. I cant install it in the roof like a drop down because the sunroof, and the lcd would be right in your face. Cant do a indash because my short shift, and shifter would block the view. And cant install in headrests without getting different ones and getting them re-covered to match the seats.

#2 is, whats the BEST way to hook the ps2 up. The only way i really know is to go with a power inverter. Which is basically through the cig lighter. But thats going from DC to AC then back to DC again. Cant i just hook up something like a DC transformer or what ever its called. Then a FM modulator to work through the speakers.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by a_integra_87
#2 is, whats the BEST way to hook the ps2 up. The only way i really know is to go with a power inverter.
That's pretty much the only way to go without going into serious wiring. A power inverter, or a static inverter (yes, I happen to have one of those government surplus badasses laying around :chuckles: ) is pretty much the only way to go.

At cruise, this setup won't be much of a problem because your alternator will be producing a constant 13-14 volts. At idle or parked, this will be way to much current draw for your poor little battery.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:04 PM
95tegRS

im assuming u have a 2 door teg. I hope your passangers are under 4 feet.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

yup 2dr, and no my friends are both over 6ft :lmao: They need to crunch down, but hey thats what they get for not wanting to drive their cars