Notices

Vtec Problems

Old 05-27-2005, 06:28 PM
tongkou1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Problems

I have a 2000 ITR, has 30k, had head ported polished, farrea valves, crower retainers and springs, basic bolt ons, ACT Clutch, toda flywheel, Denso iridium plugs, nology wires, Skunk short shifter, Mugen Thermostat, AEM fuel rail, regulator, flilter, other cosmetics. After the port and polish I haven't really raced it, wanted to break it in till last weekend I decided to test out my friends new 90 accord auto with h22 swap. When I had basic bolt ons I hit 14.4 my best time. It seems regular driving and accelerating is great but once I push it with my friends accord I lost by maybe a car length. I know I should be killing his car. When vtec is suppose to kick in you can hear it for sure but you can't really feel it like I use to when it pulls you into your seat. I think I might just need it tuned right and need to know if my air/fuel is right but haven't installed my guages yet. Right now on the fuel gauge I have it at 40, could it be not enough gas?? I was also thinking of a reprogrammed ecu out there but want to find one that is legit but isn't going to cost a thousand. Please let me hear your suggestions and thoughts so I can take steps into fixing this problem, thanks.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

A piggyback unit should be fine. It does sound like you need some tuning, because 14.4 with all that work done to it is pretty crappy.

If you did all that valvetrain work, why didn't you upgrade with more aggressive cams to take advantage of it?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:46 PM
tongkou1

I ran 14.4 with intake header exhaust, I want to get the best out there for my car so if I were to get new cams I would have to go with the toda's but $$$ is the problem, don't have enough of it. I know I have all the other things and they cost $$ too but it took alot of hard work and time, but right now need the vtec problem solved and then will work on getting the ecu and other things down the line, there are endless things I want for the ITR. When I got all those other things for the car I was still single and put the first 23k on the car when I was dating my wife so now the ITR is being babied and have my 2nd boy on the way so buying car parts is being put aside for buying baby needs.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 PM
gsrtommy

Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

definitely have it tuned.

just because it's toda, doesnt mean its the best in the world. there are much better cams out there for the price.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:35 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah like oem ones for free :reechy:
j/k
yeah i ran 14.7 bone stock so you can definitely tune more power outa that car
in perspective, theres a white boy where i work whos got the same set up but he claims he's got the type s motor
wont race me for a while, but i finally ran into him after work and destroyed his ass on the freeway
walked him after 70 so you should be stomping on ur friends car as well
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
JonnyTran
Banned

yea that tran pic rules~!!!! one crazy chink
Old 08-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
definitely have it tuned.

just because it's toda, doesnt mean its the best in the world. there are much better cams out there for the price.
That depends on your goals. I'd either go with Toda's or Skunks, but probably Toda B or C and tuned for midrange.

But then, I don't drag race so midrange is most important to me.