Notices

CRITICAL transmission service question - 90 Integra GS

Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Shruggi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRITICAL transmission service question - 90 Integra GS

It’s high time for my 90 GS to get an automatic transmission service (at least 40,000 miles since the last one). It’s now at almost 140,000 miles.

For some background: for several years, the thing is sometimes hesitant going out of the low gears when it’s been cold for a while. It usually clears itself after only a few minutes of running.

Also, in the last year or so, it is a bit slow when switching to (R)everse. And again, after it’s been cold, when I park and shift to (P), sometimes it will take a LONG time, sometimes the better part of a minute to actually engage PARK on the dash display, and allow my key out of the ignition. (I am not sure if this is something with the electrical or other system or if it actually is related to the trans.)

Anyway, my critical question is this:

Is there, to your knowledge, any SERIOUS risk for a car this old getting a transmission service? Or risk getting service in any particular way or place (non-Acura dealer servicing, etc.)?

I ask because I came across an auto advice article which stated that for cars this old, if the trans. has been running OK with old fluid, you can actually DAMAGE it more by servicing it than by leaving it alone.

I can’t seem to shake this advice, which sounded reasonable at the time. I want to take any risk factors into account. The trans. already has its ‘quirks’ and I don’t want to make anything worse by a servicing. I hear over and over again that the trans. is usually the first thing to go on these cars, and wonder how much time is left…

…thanks.