Notices

2001 GSR Burning Oil at 40K ?

Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
2001TEGGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GSR Burning Oil at 40K ?

Well, im deffinately not new to the import scene. Previously, I had a 99 Eclipse which I totaled. I've had this 01 GSR for about a year now and it consistently burns about 3 quarts between oil changes. Around every three tanks, I have to add 1 quart. I run Castrol Synthetic Blend. My plans are to turbo the car within the next year, but for now I want to ensure a reliable daily driver. Motor setup is stock other than I/H/E. Under extreme RPM after the Dual Stage Intake opens up, I can see oil behind me and on my bumper. When the car is getting low, oil pressure is down and the intake is hesitant to open up. But why does this only happen at higher RPM? I know VTEC changeover is based on oil pressure, but doesnt the intake run on vacum? It seems to run strong, very smooth but its annoying to have to add oil all the time. Should I sell the car and look for another GSR or is there any way to tell if it could be an easy fix? Possibly a head gasket, or something else I might not know about? Would a Skunk 2 Intake help the hesitation during low oil pressure? Thanks for anyones input...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It won't be an easy fix but not worth buying a new car for. I had the same problem under boost. It turned out to be fried piston rings. Do a search on the subject and that will help you since this has been covered numerous times.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I would do a leakdown and compression test on each of the cylinders first. Any local shop should be able to do this for you.