Notices

compression test?right and wrong ways

Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 PM
nextphase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression test?right and wrong ways

well anyways i would like to share that i did a compression test a month ago and the numbers were horrible.. 110-110-130-150..
i have a gsr turbo so those numbers are bad...
we did the whole process correctly.. but my friend had ask if i taken out the charge pipe wen doing it.. and i didnt... would takin out the charge pipe be a factor to my numbers.. he had told me that all da air is trapped wen it hits the turbine... or something.. it kind of make sense to take out charge pipe so it doesnt hit the turbine.. so might this be the answer to why my compression sucked... i dont notice any heating up probs.. everything seems cool.. but i have been laggin on power.. but lag of power doesnt always gotta come from engine right? i think it might be my axles.. because my old mechainc 4 months ago said i needed a new one... so can that me the cause of power loss? im supose to bring car to shop but never had time yets... work and skoo sucks... well if anyone can hyelp me out thatll be nice...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
nextphase

need help please..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

if the numbers were that low i would think it would be blowing out major smoke. They cant be right. I think minimum is like 135psi in a GSR, around 200-190 and your ok
Old 05-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The right way to do a dry compression test:

1. Remove spark plugs.
2. Remove 7.5 Amp fuse in the under hood fuse box controlling fuel injection.
3. Insert compression tester and lightly hand tighten.
4. Have a buddy mash the throttle down while cranking the engine 5 compression strokes or when it reaches maximum compression.
5. Repeat for each cylinder.
6. Reinstall everything.

You want to make sure the car is warm too. Those numbers are horrible, so you are doing something wrong. The minimum psi should be 140 psi, the optimal psi should be 199 psi, and their shouldn't be a variation of more than 28 psi between any cylinders.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
nextphase

thats everything we did..maybe we should let the car be warmer next time... cause my cardoesnt blow out smoke anymore... it use to.. but if its not the compression.. it aint the motor.. den what is makin my car lag ?