Notices

New brakes and rotors hanging up...normal??????

Old 05-21-2005, 07:08 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes and rotors hanging up...normal??????

Well, i finally got my brembos in. Installed then on the car today. Everything went pretty smooth, took me a while to figure out how to install the rears . Couldnt figure out how to get the piston pressed in because my c-clamp wouldnt go that big. So it just fit in without compressing it.

Anyway, installed both front and rear. With my new c-8's. Went for a test ride and before i even got out of the garage i felt something different. Before when in neutral, no brake the car would roll down my drive way since its on a slant. Now even if i give it a little gas the car wants to stop. Its as though my e-brake or front brakes are on a little constantly. I can be going 30mph in any gear, push in the clutch, and you can feel the brakes are on a little. The pads are sooo much thicker though. Before i had to pull my e-brake all the way up when parked for it not to roll, now about 1/4-1/2 way its as high as it goes. Did it really matter that i didnt compress the rear pistons in the calipers? I dont think it does.

Did i mess something up for them to "hang up" or is this normal until they break in? i was talking to some friends and one said its normal untill they break in, the other 2 said something is wrong. I only drove the car less than 5 miles to and from work, so they are not "broken in".

Please respond soon, i dont want to drive it if something is wrong.

BTW they pads are AXXIS, and rotors are Brembo's.

Sorry for all the questions, but i have done quite a few other break jobs and none felt like this afterwards.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:17 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

might have found my problem. On the rears, you dont compress the piston do you, you turn it in correct? how far should i turn it in, all the way? could my rears be too far out and hanging up? that could be why my e-brake handle is so tight as is.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You turn it clockwise back into the cylinder. You have to make sure that the groove of the piston fit into the little notch on the back of the pad.

Sounds like you did something wrong as mine have never done that and I just recently upgraded to what you are running (Brembo blanks and Axxis Ultimates).
Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 AM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

rears are good, fronts are what are hanging up. Mainly the drivers side. Im going to pull them apart, but have no idea what i did wrong?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:59 AM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

after looking at them a while, i wanted to see if my old brakes would work good. Kept the new pads on, old rotors and now im back to normal. I geuss there is a problem with my front rotors? You can see from my little 5 min drive to the gas station that the inside...right on the very inner lip is purple/blue now.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 AM
honura
Seni

yeah it's purple and blue because your heating it up more then what it's made for. Basicly your causing friction like for 5mins straight and there not ment for that. Why don't you Bleed the front calipers let the piston go in all the way and then take it from there. Make sure b4 you put the Wheel on that you can spin the spindle kinda freely. You will have some resistence but for the most part that it spins with sometype of ease. Goodluck
Old 05-22-2005, 03:23 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Originally Posted by honura
yeah it's purple and blue because your heating it up more then what it's made for. Basicly your causing friction like for 5mins straight and there not ment for that. Why don't you Bleed the front calipers let the piston go in all the way and then take it from there. Make sure b4 you put the Wheel on that you can spin the spindle kinda freely. You will have some resistence but for the most part that it spins with sometype of ease. Goodluck

i didnt bleed the fronts, but i did compress the pistons all the way in. It would spin freely until i went in the car to pump the brake. After that they would hold place and not free up. After old rotors were swapped back on i was back to normal.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:36 PM
honura
Seni

Well what I would do Is let all the fluid out the caliper and then bleed it over again. That's just me. Try it see what happends.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Did you get the wrong rotors perhaps?

Maybe you did something wrong during the installation? Walk me through what you did and I will see if there is something wrong with what you did.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 PM
WhiteLitening
I'm like dis'........

One or both of your front calipers are sticking. They will do that with age and you can either rebuild the caliper yourself, buy rebuilt calipers from the dealer, or buy new ones. I just had to replace one of my rear calipers because it was sticking and making the rotor glow. What happens is, as your brake pads wear over time, the piston comes out farther from the caliper to keep pressure applied to the back of the pad. When the piston comes out farther, it is exposed to the elements (salt, dirt, water, etc.). All this crap builds up, and then you go to replace your pads and the corroded piston gets pushed back down in the caliper. Now all that buildup is on the sides of the piston keeping it from moving as freely as it did when it was new. Your calipers spring back when they are new because that piston moves free, but as they get older, they don't spring back as freely because that piston hangs up causing the pads to constantly rub with excessive force and create the problems you are having now. If it is bad enough, it can sieze the rotor completely and that's gonna get costly. Other problems will be very short pad life, warped rotors, and heat issues if the pads are rubbing harder than they should be when the brakes are not applied. I would switch those out right away if it was my car. How many miles you have on it??