Notices

Best oil for integras?

Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Integra94LS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best oil for integras?

I'm just wondering what everyone uses for oil on there integras and which is the best to use for our engines. I've been using castrol GTX high milege 10w-40, high milege cause mine has 144k =(. So lemme know what brand and oil thickness everyone uses.

Also i bought this engine restore stuff and its suppose to restore lost horsepower, compustion, engine life, and lower emissions. Has anyone else used this and does it really work or is it just a gimmick?

thanks everyone
Old 05-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I use the recommended 5w30. I recently replaced my piston rings, so I don't burn any of it. I use pennzoil because it is $7 for 5 quarts at walmart. :exnbp:
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Schwa
Schiggity

Castrol Syntec 10W30 here. Shoulda used 5w30 :P
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'd steer clear of that engine restore. :eh: I used it as a get-by on my GTi, just before I was going to major engine work. When I tore down the old motor, I was shocked at the sludgy crap around the bottom piston rings. No wonder they claim an increase in compression...h:

Since I'm in a more temperate climate, I run Castrol GTX 5w30 and Hastings #403 filters.
[Don't run any of that FRAM crap, you hear? ]

Since super-cold starting temps aren't an issue, I use a lighter weight oil.
Given your northeastly winters, the 10/40 is a good compromise.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Integra94LS

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
I'd steer clear of that engine restore. :eh: I used it as a get-by on my GTi, just before I was going to major engine work. When I tore down the old motor, I was shocked at the sludgy crap around the bottom piston rings. No wonder they claim an increase in compression...h:

Since I'm in a more temperate climate, I run Castrol GTX 5w30 and Hastings #403 filters.
[Don't run any of that FRAM crap, you hear? ]

Since super-cold starting temps aren't an issue, I use a lighter weight oil.
Given your northeastly winters, the 10/40 is a good compromise.
Originally Posted by Shmoo
I use the recommended 5w30. I recently replaced my piston rings, so I don't burn any of it. I use pennzoil because it is $7 for 5 quarts at walmart. :exnbp:
haha yea i buy my oil too from wal mart, $11 for 5 quarts of Castrol GTX high milege i was using 10w-40 but am now going to use 5w-30 since most of you guys are using that on your integras.

yea i wasn't too sure on that engine restore but heard that it works and alraedy put it in when i did my oil change i hope it doesnt build up in my motor or anything and actually works. but we'll see i guess
i also use those crap fram filters any other brands you guys recommand to use? i heard theres cardboard inside the fram ones.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Here is a thread we had last week about the same thing and it will tell you the right kind of filter and oil to use: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=188858

I personally use the STP filters. $2.99 at autozone and I have read reviews of all the filters out there and it is comparable to OEM quality.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

AFAIK, the STP filters are still built with metal end caps and steel pressure valve springs.

The FRAM filters, OTOH, use bonded cardboard and plastic valves. :eek4:

I've heard of two separate incidents where either the valve failed or the cardboard delaminated inside a FRAM filter. One caused severe oil pump damage when the filter medium was ingested.. The other (by clogging the pickup tube) starved the motor out of oil long enough to cause serious bearing damage.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

I use Honda OEM 5W-30 oil and the oil filter from S2K, the best OEM filter for our engines you can buy in the states. 169.5K, no leaks, minimal burnoff from VTEC
Old 05-18-2005, 05:55 AM
honura
Seni

Originally Posted by Epoch
I use Honda OEM 5W-30 oil and the oil filter from S2K, the best OEM filter for our engines you can buy in the states. 169.5K, no leaks, minimal burnoff from VTEC
:bigok:
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Schwa
Schiggity

Hmmm...S2000 Filter eh? I used OEM Integra filter and it seems to work fine. Oil is quite clean still after a month or so