Notices

Prelude 4th or 5th Gen?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prelude 4th or 5th Gen?

hey guys well I ruled out the 4th gen earlier for my car purchase mainly because of back seat room(same w/ toyota mr2 ,2 seats) but the parents said its your car, not the passengers so do what you want.

Sooo, now I can try for a 97 prelude w/ newer design and vtec on all models, or a 4th gen w/ more standout styling and perhaps no VTEC

try to compare these as fairly as possible, understanding I might not get a VTEC if I got a 4th gen.

thanks

ps I saw a vee dub carrado, and I now nothing of VW so if u honda guys kno anything clue me in on that one too.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
RDN
Red Dragon Nitro

Well, I've owned a 3rd gen 2.0 si, 4th gen si and vtec, and currently a 98 base. All were manual. To tell you the truth you cant go wrong with any prelude that you choose. You'll have fun with anyone of them. Now lemme give you my 2 cents about the 4th and 5th gen.

4th gen:
absolutly sexy front, even better with jdm one pieces
To this day interior is amazing, especially 94 and up with the EL gauges
Interior is a little small though
H23 engine wont let you down and sounds awesome, above 5200 rpm in the H22 will bring a smile to your face
In my opinion looks better than the 5th from the factory
Manual tranny is strong and bullet proof
The 6-1/2s in the rear are a downside

5th gen:
Looks awesome, looks better fixed up than the 4th gen to me
Roomier interior than 4th gen/but not as cool
Better front and rear visibility than 4th gen
All come with H22/ downside is that some come in automatic/ dont get the auto!!!
6x9s in the rear w/ acoustic feed back (pretty damn good stock radio)
The sexiest ass/ but the front is as bad as the 4th gens rear
Only 22 pounds heavier (5M base) than the 4th gen vtec.
Reminds me of the 3rd gen (which is also a sexy beast)

Truth be told you can't go wrong with either one, I guarantee you'll love a 4th gen si or vtec or a 5th gen as long as you get it in a manual. You'll feel safe in both as well. As for the corrado STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! Its more trouble than its worth, trust me.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 PM
prelood

RDN's post is very accurate.

I have had a 4th gen Si and a currently own a 5th gen base model.

They both have their pro's and con's but overall I love the 5th gen a lot more. Every aspect.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

I definitely agree with RDN's taste. I'm personally partial to 4th gens because that's all I can afford (and I've never driven a 5th).

Don't worry about the back seats. Love the fact that the 4th gen back seats are like deep storage buckets and nobody wants to sit back there anyway. You don't have to be anyone's chauffer (sp?). The interior is nice and cozy. The function of the two rear seatbelts is simply to keep the insurance down (two-seaters have higher insurance).

Also, the 4th gen is like 200-300 lbs lighter.

Dan
Old 05-13-2005, 05:16 AM
oscarhmoyano

Originally Posted by RDN
Well, I've owned a 3rd gen 2.0 si, 4th gen si and vtec, and currently a 98 base. All were manual. To tell you the truth you cant go wrong with any prelude that you choose. You'll have fun with anyone of them. Now lemme give you my 2 cents about the 4th and 5th gen.

4th gen:
absolutly sexy front, even better with jdm one pieces
To this day interior is amazing, especially 94 and up with the EL gauges
Interior is a little small though
H23 engine wont let you down and sounds awesome, above 5200 rpm in the H22 will bring a smile to your face
In my opinion looks better than the 5th from the factory
Manual tranny is strong and bullet proof
The 6-1/2s in the rear are a downside

5th gen:
Looks awesome, looks better fixed up than the 4th gen to me
Roomier interior than 4th gen/but not as cool
Better front and rear visibility than 4th gen
All come with H22/ downside is that some come in automatic/ dont get the auto!!!
6x9s in the rear w/ acoustic feed back (pretty damn good stock radio)
The sexiest ass/ but the front is as bad as the 4th gens rear
Only 22 pounds heavier (5M base) than the 4th gen vtec.
Reminds me of the 3rd gen (which is also a sexy beast)

Truth be told you can't go wrong with either one, I guarantee you'll love a 4th gen si or vtec or a 5th gen as long as you get it in a manual. You'll feel safe in both as well. As for the corrado STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! Its more trouble than its worth, trust me.

Wow .. that was one of the best comments that i've seen latelly .. very mature ... they are great cars and you'll end up with one, 4th gen very agressive look - funny ass (h23 aren't bad if well driven and well keeped) , 5th gen funny front beautiful back and more refined lines (all Vtec but Auto isn't that good), ... oh boy i spent 13K on a V6 accord and i kind regret because i bought that car looking for extra space/power/leather etc ... for me and my GF .. now she has left me and the Acoord although is a very nice and powerful coupe i whish i could go back on time and get a 5th gen to get the taste of a 5th gen LOL
Just get a Prelude (although try to avoid de F22 version) you'll be happy!

Oscar LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 07:19 AM
mikesta21
93preludesi

whats the f22 engine? how do i avoid it
Old 05-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

Originally Posted by mikesta21
whats the f22 engine? how do i avoid it
It's the SOHC on the S model. Simple: if a seller doesn't know what trim his Prelude is (and you should check anyway), look under the hood and you can tell the engine by the valve cover. Also, most Ss have steel wheels.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 AM
preludeSI94

If i had the money I'd go with a 5th gen. I like the look of them better, especially from the back. I also like the h22 even though they come in a 4th gen. It's way easier to find a nice 5th gen than a 4th gen vtec. I do like the look of 4th gen front ends better. Definetly get a manual with which ever one you get.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
RDN
Red Dragon Nitro

Originally Posted by oscarhmoyano
now she has left me
Damn sorry to hear that Oscar, but yeah if you wanna see how good a 4th gen can look hit up Oscar and take a look at his ride.

Originally Posted by Ludemandan
Also, the 4th gen is like 200-300 lbs lighter.
Naw, 200-300 pounds less is a civic or integra. The 5th gen base 5 speed is 22 lbs more than the vtec 4th gen. I think the s 4th gen is about a little more than 100 lbs less than the 5th gen, so you really can't go wrong with a 4th gen s with a vtec swap. :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2005, 06:07 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

Default --------------------------------------------------

how does the 4th gen compare to the fifth as far as performance? how do there times off the line compare(si and VTEC)