Notices

Hubcentric rings & Rota Slipstreams

Old 05-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Hambone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hubcentric rings & Rota Slipstreams

I used the search but still couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I have 15 x 6.5 Rota Slipstreams and whenever I go over 55mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy. I got the wheels balanced last night and it still shook this morning. Are hubcentric rings necessary for these wheels?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

get an allignment!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:08 AM
'93TurboD
5-finger discount :rick:

Alignment won't cause a vibration uunless your tires are badly feathered. The easiest way to check to see if you need hub centric rings is to: Thake the wheel off. Measure the vehicle hub diameter, measure the wheel hub diameter. If they are different, get rings.

Another way is to un-bolt the wheel, place it, flush on the hub and slide it up and down. Feel for the wheel sliding, if it does: get rings. Any tire dealer can get them for you.

Also check your front end: ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. To see if they're worn. Also: Did you get your brakes done recently? Unbalanced rotors can cause this too.

As an afterthought: Did you change the lug nuts when you swapped wheels? Most aftermarket wheels use cone seat lug nuts, and OE Honda uses ball seat. The wrong lugnuts could cause the wheel to not sit right @ the hub. And torque your lugs to 80ft/lbs.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Hambone

Originally Posted by '93TurboD
Also check your front end: ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. To see if they're worn. Also: Did you get your brakes done recently? Unbalanced rotors can cause this too.

As an afterthought: Did you change the lug nuts when you swapped wheels? Most aftermarket wheels use cone seat lug nuts, and OE Honda uses ball seat. The wrong lugnuts could cause the wheel to not sit right @ the hub. And torque your lugs to 80ft/lbs.
I know my rotors are warped since it shakes while braking. I'm changing rotors and pads this weekend. I didn't think warped rotors would cause the shaking without being on the brakes. I did put conical lug nuts on and they are torqued to 80ft/lbs.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

In most cases you need hubcentric rings for all aftermarket wheels. For the company it's easier to make one wheel and many different hub centric rings than many different wheels for different cars.

Your wheels should have come with hub centric rings, if not you can buy them off Ebay for cheap and they are made of aluminum.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 AM
twinring

I had Rotas on my EF hatch. I had to get those hub centric rings too. Got tired of the problem so I sold the rims and bought somthing else, never had a problem after that.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:51 AM
96gsintegra

hmmmm.... really? i was about to buy some slipstreams for my car... so are yall saying i need hub centric rings if i get these rims or only if i have a problem?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

No all aftermarket rims you need hubcentric rings. I have them for my Kosei K1s, my Enkei RPF1s, my Rota C8s, and other wheels I"ve had.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 AM
JoshJ
bang bang.

Sorry for jacking your thread, but I went to Discount Tire and they gave me Gorilla rings, but they are like a hard plastic? Should I buy some aluminum ones?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
'93TurboD
5-finger discount :rick:

Originally Posted by Hambone
I know my rotors are warped since it shakes while braking. I'm changing rotors and pads this weekend. I didn't think warped rotors would cause the shaking without being on the brakes. I did put conical lug nuts on and they are torqued to 80ft/lbs.
Warped rotors will cause a problem under braking. UNBALANCED rotors, that is rotors not balanced properly from the factory could cause this.

Originally Posted by syked
Sorry for jacking your thread, but I went to Discount Tire and they gave me Gorilla rings, but they are like a hard plastic? Should I buy some aluminum ones?
The plastic ones should do fine. As long as they fit. I've never had a problem with them.