Notices

'01 Civic rear passenger's door won't open

Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
TWX
Junior Assistant Trainee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Civic rear passenger's door won't open

Hi,

A ladyfriend's '01 or thereabouts Honda Civic sedan has a problem. The passenger's side rear door can't be opened. I've verified that the door lock mechanism at least has enough resistance to be doing something, but neither handle seems to have much resistance and it feels like something is disconnected inside.

Is there any reasonable way to open the door with some kind of slim jim or coat hanger? If not, how hard is it going to be to take the inside panel off with the door shut, will I have to pull the seat, and is this getting beyond being worthwhile?

I don't know if the car has child safety locks or not.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:32 AM
brutus01

I'm having the same problem. It does have to do with the child safelty locks. My daughter decided to click the latch on on her own and when she shut the door, it was the last time the door had ever opened. It's been 2 months and I can't figure it out.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM
TWX
Junior Assistant Trainee

When I get around to working on it (haven't had time yet) I'm going to try to pull the inside door panel out. I may have to remove the bench seat to get that far down. At least the other side opens so that I can open it up to see how the process works before proceeding to the bad one.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:09 AM
swaggs21

Even with the child safety locks, it should still be able to be opnened from the outside.