Notices

young DX owner need Help please.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:12 PM
juanddc06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default young DX owner need Help please.

Im 17 and just recently purchased a 97 civic dx and i love it. the car is all stock except for 18 inch ADRs and 3A racing exhaust. I need help with adding stuff to my car. Im just starting to learn everything about cars and performance. I plan to work my ass of this summer all for my car. I was planning on an engine swap but im not to sure what to do. i need a good strong dependable engine nothing to fancy but something good enough to keep up with some. ive been looking at GSRs, Type Rs, B16s, and H22s but not quite sure which way to go i dont want to spend to much on an engine i just want an upgrade to my 106hp engine. which one is the best for my buck. any input from anybody would be great. i dont really want to spend more than 2grand on an engine since i want to leave money for headersm intaken, new exhaust, and carbon fiber hood. im expecting to earn from 4 to 5 thousand this summer all towards my car. so if anybody would just tell me i know this sounds dumb but how to spend my money. i thought about just spending all the money on a bad ass H22 but decided i dont need that much power so i just want enought power and noise and looks. a fine blend of all. Again any help would be great. THanks JC
Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

If you dont want to spend more than 2 grand your screwed on the engine part. If your doing the swap yourself youll need 1 of two things, a OBD2-OBD1 conversion if you buy an OBD1 engine, or buy an OBD2 engine which is a tad bit more expensive. * When i did my swap for my Ek i ask steve from Hmotors how much an OBD2 B16 was and he told me around 2.9K for the full swap*

If i were you i would go out and find yourself either a B18C (GSR) swap or a B18B. Type R is waaaay out of your budget, H22 swap has too many little things to do to make it work. and the b16 in an EK is worthless unless you have money to work on it and judging by your post you dont have much right now.

When you do whatever DOHC engine swap, plan on buy parts or all of the exhaust system. your hood might also tap the valve cover, but i cant recall if this ever happen to me in any of my swaps, someone can correct me if im wrong

In my opinion since you dont want to spend that much money, get yourself a D16y8, *ive seen them go from 500-900 bucks* its a single cam vtec. Do the little things you need to convert your wiring to vtec *of course ECU with it too* Collect or buy yourself a turbo setup. I know for certain you will have a quick decent car running atleast around the 14s in the quarter for less than 4K.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:18 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

cheap effective hp...get a turbo system for the D.

cheapest DOHC VTEC route, B16A.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:42 AM
juanddc06

Thanks both thats what i was lookin for. i think rocod u got exactly what i meant a decent engine to wich i can add more stuff to later when i get more money. ill look up D16y8 for sure. but do u know how i can find places to swap or where to get one. and about how much would a b16a or b16b engine swap cost since i would be able to add stuff just at a later time. and what are the differences between the a and b may sound stupid but once again just introduced into racing world but i love it eager to learn. And as far as getting a turbo i defenetly want to but thats why im looking for a bit more powerfull engine so it has more power potential in the long run. Thanks again JC Any other help would be great or explenations
Old 04-29-2005, 02:22 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

For an engine and anything you might possibly need mechanical wise *as in besides mounts and such* call Steve from Hmotors.

The difference between the D and B series engine is basically one is Single over head cam and the other is double over head cam. Their vtec switches over differently also if i remember it correctly, i think on the sochs the computer basically retards the cams gears, but i cant recall right now, while the extra lobe on the dohc make it work*there is more to it, but im being lazy*

Like said, when i called Steve to see how much an OBD2 engine was going to cost me he told me around 2.9K Im pretty sure you can find a good B18B swap thats obd2. You'll have to look around for that one. *and the b16B is waaay to much for you and its overpriced for what it is.though i had one h: *

anyways....find yourself a D16Y8, its good engine with a turbo setup. its cheaper to modify t so to speak.... search the site there have been many many discussions about the potential of a turbo D in the short run *and in the long run* IMO the turbo d is a good quick street car. I wouldnt plan on making it a drag car though
Old 04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Special K

Hey, if you're bent on the engine I found this site a while ago...
http://www.fnf-motors.com/index.php?mainBlock=honda.php
They seem to have decent rates....
(I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just picked up a brochure at an Autoshow...)
Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Remember though, if you do the D and turbo it, you're gonna need to shell out quite a few $$ to tune it. I'd do a b18b or b16a.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 PM
SmartySarty

I wouldnt go witht he D, becuase you said you need sumthing reliable and if you boost that to all hell thats not too reliable................(I am assuming this is your only car)

Personal oppinion if your not plaing on going crazy and building the motor ,H22a is your best buy for the buck for a significant change......but your gonna need to replace a bunch of shit i am letting you kno from personal expereice, for instance your tiny brakes aint gonna stand up to the wieght and speeds you will be traviling, your gonna blow out bushings in controll arms, fuel pump should be changed cuz you are going from 106 to 200+, your stock radiator aint gonna keep the motor cool and the prelude radiatior wont fit so your gonna have to get a GSR or aftermarket, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clearence issues, stock GSR axel work for the swap cuz you cant use the prelude but there a a signifacant difference is thinkness of the prelude and integra axels so your gonna break them unless you get stage 1s, also those axels dont fit perfect with your car so if you drop it too low your axels will bind. basically what i am saying is that that motor tears up that car when you swap it.

b18c1 has lots of potential and cost around the same as the h22a but its a easy swap and more suetable for that car.

b16 will not give you the power your lookin for.

BTW plan on spending more the 5k on your car before you start buying shit you really want............ a lot of lil things are gonna get messed up and your gonna have to spend a 100$ there and 200$ and 50$ there......... It took almost a year after my swap to buy CAI and header cuz i had to spend my money on lil shit that you dont neccarrly wanna spend but in the long run makes your car stronger
Old 04-29-2005, 11:41 PM
SmartySarty

BTW you will relize whats more important after you drop liek 4 to 5 k just on your motor................... That CF hood will move far down the line and things to buy
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
juanddc06

ok i really have no idea what im doing but i feel im getting the hang of it a little bit. i recently started looking at superchargers but after reading some of this i might sound stupid but im guessing i cant just drop one on my stock engine right? i was looking at a jackson racing supercharger. if i can should i and if i cant whats the absolute cheapest engineto go with then add a supercharger.(an engine that can take the power) thanks again sorry for my poor knowledge oh and what about the f22 does that fit?