Notices

Moonroof- leakage in snowy weather?

Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 PM
madamelulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonroof- leakage in snowy weather?

I am buying an '01 Accord EX soon, but I have a concern. Should I be worried about it leaking considering I'll be living in Michigan and it'll snow a lot? Is leakage common?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:07 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After 6 different cars with sunroofs I haven't had a problem with it. It might even be worse here with many freeze/thaw cycles each year. You're probably better off with it staying below freezing.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by madamelulu
I am buying an '01 Accord EX soon, but I have a concern. Should I be worried about it leaking considering I'll be living in Michigan and it'll snow a lot? Is leakage common?
I've only heard of aftermarket sunroofs begin to leak after a while.
I've always had a car with a sun/ moon roof and never had any leak problems.

The only problem ( iwouldnt even call it a problem ) is in the winter time the moon roof does freeze over and sometimes is hard to open.

I dont drive around in -10 degree weather with the roof open so it doesnt bother me.
Im sure that might be the only problem people experience in cold weather.
Once your interior heats up from the heater it melts the ice and voilllaa...moon roof opens.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just open the roof and check if the rubber seal is intact
Old 05-11-2005, 10:49 AM
blacknight07601

Wel, this is the 3rd car I've had with a sunroof and I have never had a problem. I'm basically in the same boat with JimBlake with the changing weather (I live in Jersey). So you should be fine. As previously stated, many aftermarket sunroofs may leak after a while. That's because people go to an aftermarket shop to have it done instead of going directly to the manufacturer who has a template.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
mayonaise

my family's 88 legend has a moonroof leaking issue. the problem isn't that the seals are bad, it's that the drain keeps getting clogged up. every few years the drain gets clogged, and water just collects in the little gutter around the moon roof. i guess the seal isn't meant to keep out a persistent pool of water, so after the water sits for a few days it'll start leaking into the cabin

haven't had any problems with my 95 accord yet, or either of my family's 91 legends.