Notices

wiring amber LEDs inside gauge cluster

Old 04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring amber LEDs inside gauge cluster

i just bought some amber leds with 2 feet of wire attached. i was going to try to wire them behind the gauges, but i want to wire them to a toggle switch, so i can control when they are on. Is this a dumb idea? should i just wire them to the stock bulbs? what wires should i look for to connect the LEDs to if i were to wire it to a toggle switch? If i were to have the LEDs with the toggle switch, would i lose the stock bulbs? I dont really have any idea on how this is set up, and i'd like to know before i tear apart my cluster. i know how to get everything out, id just like some advice on the wiring set up.

Thanks alot.

(i have a 1995 civic LX sedan with the stock cluster.)
(if i go with the toggle switch i was going to put it on one of the empty buttons on the e-brake console, so any wires closest to that would be better)
Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

I'm considering a similar thing.

I recently bought 194 and 74 size LED replacements to the stock bulbs which backlight the gauges. I used "white" LEDs which ended up actually having a bluish glow to the gauge. I'll see if I can take pics. Problem is, the LEDs are not bright enough (dimmer than the 8 year old original bulbs) and because they don't disperse as well (I didn't sand them yet) the gauge looks splotchy.

For this reason, if you want amber, I suggest you go buy amber condom covered 194 and 24's instead. You'll get a better look for less trouble.

On the otherhand, I hate the amber look. I also hate the incandescent look of the stock ones. So I'm thinking about rigging up a whole bunch of "white" LEDs to make a really bright display.

Don't forget, you need resistors in series with your LEDs unless they are already built in for the 12v application.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:27 AM
95civiclx
HMT b7

hey thanks. yeah the LED s i bought have the built in resistors. ill buy the amber 194s and see how that looks. Im sure ill find some other use for the amber LEDS if that works out.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

where did you get 74 bulbs in different clors? i could only find OEM/clear.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

My 74's are LED's from

superbrightleds.com

also

superlumination.com

Bought from both places and different times. The 74 bases are a little too big and need to be filed down to fit.