Notices

humming even after $300 at the mecanic

Old 04-21-2005, 04:25 PM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming even after $300 at the mechanic

well this faint humming on the driverside of my 98 civic ex started to become noticeable at higher speeds. i figured it may be a wheel bearing and set up an appointment to get the bearing replaced at the family mecahnic. before i dropped the car off i rotated my tires and went for a ride to the beach. well as soon as i got to 20 or 30 mph i heard the same noise except for about 30 decibles louder and definate vibration in my breaks and steering. so i bring my car to the mechanic and he notices that the driver side cv joint boot was ripped (was fine last time i did my oil 5 weeks ago) and replaced the wheel bearing. well the car makes the EXACT same sound when driving and louder when breaking and turning to the right. does anyone know what this could be? in the mean time im calling the mechanic to have him check it out. any help on this would greatly be appreciated because most likely any help will save me $$$$. thanks yall.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
eonsx311

oh yeah, my tires have normal wear. 50% tread rotated from front to back and 75% tread from back to front. my mechanic said its my front breaks making this sound but i have doubts. the sound is coming only from one side and i have heard severly warped rotars and they did not make sounds like this. if anyone has questions i have not covered yet, let me know

dave
Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 PM
mikemerc85
Git-R-Done

is ur cv boot still ripped. Usually when it is itll make that noise ur talkin about. Tryin putting it in reverse and cutting the wheel and see if u hear like a "snap" sound. My prelude did it and i ended up replacing both axles. The ripped cv joint boot will also cause your steering to vibrate alot. When i replaced the axles it stopped the shaking a little but not completely b/c i still need my tires to be balanced. Other than that, thats all i can think of right now.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 PM
eonsx311

both upper and lower boots have been replaced as well as the joint itself. it dosnt really shake its just the same frequency as the hum but in vibration form, think if a dremel. thats what it feels like. a high frequency wave length. not a shake or out of balance wheel.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 PM
gray94civiclx

Default Check your Crank Pulley

My civic made a strange noise from the driver's side front when the crank pulley was coming loose.

Just a guess, but it can't hurt to check.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 PM
eonsx311

this is only when im driving straight ahead or turning to the right. when i make left turns it is quiet as a church, the way it should be (well other than tire noise)