Notices

To Bypass or Not to Bypass??CAI or Ram??

Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 AM
99SeDaN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Bypass or Not to Bypass??CAI or Ram??

I'm full of questions since I'm such a new owner. Only a month old. -99 Sedan EX V6-
I'm looking into getting an intake, either AEM or Injen but I'm having trouble deciding whether to go Cold air or Ram. I know the benefits of cold air, but I can't figure out if the bypass is worth it. Or if the money for the cold air system is even worth it. Just to get rid of the factory air box is a great improvement. I know a hydro locked engine would suck, but what are my chances? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Old 08-28-2002, 07:56 AM
wrigh003

I drove through Athens, OH, the other day, helping my brother move. There was a massive storm- we're talking slow down to 10 mph on the freeway just to be able to see. Anyway, after I got off the freeway, I saw this guy in a Civic, lowered, big rims, etc. Guess where he was? Right in the middle of at least 8" of water. I hope his engine wasn't fuct, but my guess is it was. Lots of people say that a short ram intake with the resonator removed will make as much or nearly as much power as a CAI anyway, so why risk it for 1 or 2 horsepower? Intakes just make a cool noise, so keep the filter up where it belongs and you'll be fine. Imagine how much it would suck to constantly worry about blowing up your car everytime a big storm comes through.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:13 AM
SIGMA CHI GUY

I totally agree...It also depends on where you live...if it rains a lot or not...I'm from LA where its mild rain but I go to school in San Diego where it can get pretty wet sometimes...

I have an Injen short ram, I've had it for about 4 years now and I got a cold air extension for it...I put it in a few summers ago and during the fall it was raining pretty hard so I took it off and I have never put it back on again...its just too risky for me personally to have a cold air. The bypass does NOTHING unless your ENTIRE filter is SUBMERGED in water so don't think gettin the bypass will save your life. Why risk your engine's life for an extra horsepower or two...

By the way, get AEM...Injen intakes used to be cool for me but some of them aren't CARB certified yet (mine wasn't, 98 Accord, 4cylinder) and it sucks for a smog check.....So as of a couple months ago I have decided that I HATE WITH A PASSION Injen intakes...too much fuss for a non-CARB certified intake...\

Plus AEM has more colors to choose from.....

INJEN sucks my middle nut!!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:32 AM
kleankord

Default sell?

Originally posted by SIGMA CHI GUY

By the way, get AEM...Injen intakes used to be cool for me but some of them aren't CARB certified yet (mine wasn't, 98 Accord, 4cylinder) and it sucks for a smog check.....So as of a couple months ago I have decided that I HATE WITH A PASSION Injen intakes...too much fuss for a non-CARB certified intake...\

Plus AEM has more colors to choose from.....

INJEN sucks my middle nut!!
hey thinking about selling that injen setup then? that's the one i been lookin for... but for a decent price...
Old 08-28-2002, 11:36 AM
kleankord

btw the injen cai on a 6 banger sounds beautiful and if you're in an area that doesn't get 8 inches of rain... i think you'll be fine... i have never come across anyone (in person) who's been hydrolocked... my friends all have CAIs round here no problems so far... 4-5-6 inches of rain still shouldn't be anything to worry bout... I just wouldn't be revving if i was sitting in a big puddle...
Old 08-28-2002, 01:22 PM
99SeDaN

I decided to go with the AEM Short Ram. The roads at and around where I live and travel suck so I just figured I'd save myself the worry. It's mainly a look mod and a sound more than a big horsepower getter. I just really needed to get rid of that factory airbox. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any installation tips feel free to fill me in.
Thanks,
Old 08-28-2002, 06:56 PM
SIGMA CHI GUY

KLEANKORD,

I am willing to sell my Injen short ram to you...did u just want the short ram or the CAI (I have the cold air extension from Injen)...I am willing to sell the short ram for 65 dollars and the CAI for 90. Again, it is kinda old since I've had it for a while and the Injen sticker is kinda blemished and its not all shiny anymore...But if you can deal with that let me know...I paid 145 for the intake and another 60 for the cold air extension. Let me know...
Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 PM
xbajbusx

i had intake on my car and i took it of because it made my car slower then with the stock box .one of my good friends told me (mechanic for honda )that i'm not gone get any preformance till i play with the cpu because how it set up and one more think the car got bad fuel mileage w/ intake i will keep it stock if i where you the only nice think was about it it was the sound the .
Old 08-28-2002, 08:36 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i'm going to go a cheaper route with CP performance CAI. yea, it's not AEM, but for half the cost and with carb cert. i guess it's worth it. i HOPE it's not carb pending. that would suck nutz.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 PM
kleankord

so you're going to let go of the entire CAI setup for 90? I think I could be able to take it off your hands... got any pics? any defects other than the sticker? if you want email @: elf_14@hotmail.com...

If everything is in good working order and still looks nice I'm willing to pay it.

Quick Reply: To Bypass or Not to Bypass??CAI or Ram??