Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

heel toe down-shifting ? rev-matching ?

Old 08-27-2002, 04:37 PM
VtecApprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heel toe down-shifting ? rev-matching ?

Erm just curious about what is the purpose of heel toe down shifting ? ? ? and the procedure issit :
Step 1 : apply and hold brake
Step 2 : clutch in
Step 3 : right heel over the accelerator and rev abit
Step 4 : downshift
Step 5 : let go clutch and accelerator
Step 6 : then ? ? ? ? ? ?

HmMmM . . . and is there anyother skill that is useful in daily driving ? ? can explain some of those skills ? ? ?

Does anyone of you know any website that have articles about all these skills ? ? ?

ThaNkzZ :naughty:
Old 08-27-2002, 04:57 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i do not use heel/toe to help braking...that's what the brakes are for

heel/toe is used to get the car in proper gear for acceleration as smoothly as possible

heel/toe isn't actually that way...my foot can't twist to do that...so i wear sneakers and roll my right foot to the right to touch the accelerator while braking...you have to adjust the pedals to get braking effect while giving the accelerator a little blip to match revs (after awhile you get a wear mark on the top right side of your sneaker from doing this...and you begin to notice it on other racers)

for instance...going into turn 1 at summit point...120mph...jam on the binders...engage clutch (push clutch pedal in)...shift into gear that i will want to accelerate through the corner in (2nd...hard right hander that sweeps out)...roll right foot off brake (while still braking for the corner) onto accelerater to blip it to proper rpm (you'll have to practice at what speed you'll turn at to find what rpm you want to do and how far you need to roll your foot)...disengage clutch (you are now in 2nd gear and preparing for full throttle corner)
Old 08-27-2002, 08:03 PM
darrenemo

hey is there a reason to rev match while doing daily driving?

what kind of stuff can I do myself to be a better driver? as in, quicker acceleration ? it just seems like my car is sluggish.. i havent raced anyone but yeah. maybe im just afraid of blowing my engine if i work it too hard :shrug:

any kind of tips would be helpful. maybe its just cuz my teg is a little heaver than my cousins hatchback :-) but still, i mean i have more torque and horses but i realize the power to weight ratio is better in his car ... i guess im just afraid of getting spanked by a car that i should be able to walk all over.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:57 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by darrenemo
hey is there a reason to rev match while doing daily driving?

what kind of stuff can I do myself to be a better driver? as in, quicker acceleration ? it just seems like my car is sluggish.. i havent raced anyone but yeah. maybe im just afraid of blowing my engine if i work it too hard :shrug:
no reason to heel/toe in traffic or daily driving unless you want to sound cool when stopping next to another car and they can hear you doing it...most drivers and ricers don't know what it is though

as for giving you an advantage in acceleration its negligible...it's main purpose is for smooth transition from braking to acceleration in order to shave time off of laps
Old 08-28-2002, 03:04 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I do some heel/toe shifting around town. My wife and passengers appreciate it The car doesn't jerk or bog around corners. That's the only thing I can think of why you would want to do it Plus it gives me practice.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:43 PM
mrmike

the proper way to heal-toe is to blip the throttle with the shifter in neutral and the cluth out in between downshifts. blipping with the clutch in just matches the engine speeds but does not speed up the transmission syncros when you let the clutch back out.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Sir Revalot

I've taught myself how to half-way do it while daily driving. It does make the ride a little more enjoyable since I'm not jerking around.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 PM
frank
frank from canada

i rev match for right hand uphill turns to avoid bogging, screw the braking
Old 09-11-2002, 01:06 AM
jc836

Do yourself a favor and join SCCA and get Sports Car from them. Also check out the books available at Borders or B&N. There has been a lot written about technique. A great magazine about cars and racing is Grassroots Motorsports. Letters to the editor are answered fully.
You might also want to do a search of the archives here and for both magazines.
As to doing it-practice is the only way to perfect it. The object is to have a smooth transition between gears. and hold the engine in the power curve.
Have fun
Old 09-12-2002, 05:26 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I thought Heal-Toe was just for drifting.

My pedals don't all line up with each other so I can't do that anyway. I tried and the gas pedal is down way too far for me to reach the brake.

Quick Reply: heel toe down-shifting ? rev-matching ?