Notices

need advice on forced indution

Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 AM
slvrteg
big boys toys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on forced indution

Ok, I am going to be getting some boost for my 2001 gsr w/ stock internals and 93 octane. I was going to get the JR hight boost supercharger w/ the hondata ecu, which should be making somewhere around 230whp at 8psi. But now i am wondering if i would be able to make the same power with a turbo but with less psi? i dont want a laggy dyno queen turbo though. needs to be driveable. heard the garrett GT28RS is good.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 AM
EK hatch
I hate ricers

I would go with the supercharger, less expensive and makes almost the same power when you are at the same psi with a turbo. Its your decision though, just do what you want to do.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:53 AM
slvrteg
big boys toys

i like the ease of installation of the supercharger and the hondata is included. but i have seen some turbo kits that claimed around the same hp with like 2 psi less boost. Figured i could either run less boost for the same power and less stress on my engine or turn up boost to equal JR level and get more hp.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:35 AM
civicandtegra

a super charger takes away power thats y a turbo can make more with less psi, i dont know if the supercharger is faster because it is limited with the rpm of the motor, a super charger is better for v6, v8. and for a good supercharger is around 2gs and up the best is jackson. personaly i would go with a turbo because i can always change it for a lager or smaller turbo without much trouble, but if the blower goes on a supercharge u will end up gettin a new supercharger kit
Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

JRSC are pieces of shit anyway. Get a turbo and you will be much happier.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I would not call the JRSC a POS by any means.
For those who detest lag in any amount, a postive displacement "blower" makes a hell of a lot of sense. [I'm actually looking at one for my DC4. h:]

That said, a turbocharger is a more efficient form of forced induction...i.e, at a given boost pressure, the intake charge temperature will be lower with a turbo than with a JRSC.

That said, there are some interesting options for intercooling the JRSC. Mike (MrFatBooty) posted a link to a company that retrofits the JRSC intake manifolds with air-to-water intercoolers. PM him for the link if you're interested.

It's a matter of personal preference and budget. Since you've expressed concern about lag, I'd bet you'd be happier with a JRSC. It wil amplify torque much lower than most turbo kits.

If it's at all possible, get some seat time behind the wheel of a turboed GSR and supercharged GSR. Then make your decision as to which powerband feels best for you.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 04-05-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by civicandtegra
a super charger takes away power thats y a turbo can make more with less psi, i dont know if the supercharger is faster because it is limited with the rpm of the motor, a super charger is better for v6, v8. and for a good supercharger is around 2gs and up the best is jackson. personaly i would go with a turbo because i can always change it for a lager or smaller turbo without much trouble, but if the blower goes on a supercharge u will end up gettin a new supercharger kit
Okay..I'm not picking on you, but there's more to this discussion that needs to be said. h:

1) How can you say a blower is "better" for a certain kind of engine?

Regardless of engine size or layout, turbochargers produce a different kind of powerband than superchargers. It comes down to the preference of the driver. IMO, since our engines lack torque in general, I'd argue that a supercharger is more effective for a street-driven car than a bolt-on turbo kit, which does little to aid torque until around 3000 rpm.

2) Rebuilding Costs: Turbo vs JRSC:

Eaton, the company that makes the superchargers for Jackson Racing / Moss Motors can rebuild their superchargers just as easily as a turbo can be rebuilt. The difference in rebuilding costs are negligible, as Jackson Racing provides a 100K mile warranty on the supercharger. To the best of my knowledge, no turbo kit comes with that level of protection.

My 2.3¥

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM
hakjai

My 2.3¥ ~ 0.021211USD haha i get it
Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

just make sure you don't get worried when you hear noises coming from the BOV.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
EK hatch
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by LT6916
just make sure you don't get worried when you hear noises coming from the BOV.
hahahah lol, I loved that thread. :lmfao: