Notices

Need advice...

Old 08-26-2002, 07:53 AM
SpongeBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice...

I am new to this forum and would just like to say hi. So here is my situation. I am 23 and just graduated from college. I have a good job making a little of 50K and i am looking to get a new car. I kinda have my mind set on the new CL-s 6 speed, but my pops wont go for it. I know, i am 23 and should be doing it on my own, but i want to listen to what he has to say, and he might help out with the downpayment. but nonetheless, i am saving my own money for the car, but he thinks i get something like a camry or an accord. basically something a little less. so does anyone here have any advice for me? am i shooting too far for my age and all that? thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Nomad

IF you can save up for down payment and hang on for a few months with the new job then you should be able to get it fine. As long as you can swing the payments you're golden.
Tell him it's a much better car and it holds its value better than any other on the road. If in two years you want to get rid of it then you'll still get a great price for it.

Of course if it goes down to it, get the ACCORD and then trade it in ina year once you've saved enough $ to keep pops out of the deal.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:44 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Get the CL-S... Its a great car, TONS of power, TONS of features... and it looks awesome!! The Camry sucks! Its way overpriced for what you get, and it has so much less power with no manual on the V6 (from what I know, I dont pay any attention to Toyota cause I think they suck)

If you get an Accord coupe, with the V6 and a six speed (available early 2003) you're gonna pay almost as much as you would with a CL-S-6. They are suposevly going to be priced at about $28G to $30G.

Check out the link in my sig, its a whole site dedicated to the CL!! "Car Talk" is where you'll find a lot of 2nd gen CL stuff ('01-'03)
Old 08-26-2002, 05:15 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

The CL-S is a souped up Accord. So its still a reliable, solid vehicle. I myself am waiting for the '03 Accord six speed to be released so I can compare the two before I decide. I was actually very close to making the purchase of a CL-S about 4 months ago when I started hearing the Accord rumors. You can't go wrong with either car. BUT..... be prepared for high insurance (you're 23 -- if you wait till you're 25 it'll drop quite a bit), and high cost of tires (expect 50,000 miles max tread life, 150.00 per tire replacement). A CL-S might be a bit much for a first car purchase, but if you think you can handle it, try to talk to your parrents. They see the logical, common sense side of things (a Camry? Don't get much more conservative than that) and people our age (I'm 25) don't see things their way I guess. Big difference between us is I've had my own place since 1999. So I guess I don't have to live under my parrents rules!
Old 08-27-2002, 10:44 AM
DivaAZ

:slap:

OMG!!

I'm biased because I own a CL, BUT a Camry? Make sure Dad knows that Acura is a super duper Honda. Price them out...I'm sure you'll find that the Camry's are more expensive (why, I don't know). You'll have an Acura (or a Honda for that matter) for as long as you want it....so why buy a car you don't really want? With the $$ you're making you should be able to swing this on your own. I'm 23 and I can do it..you make nearly double my salary! Do your homework on the cars of choice and show Dad you're serious about this investment. He might just give in a little - but the CL is a superb automobile.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:42 AM
BonzoAPD

yeah Camry's and Accords can wind up being almost as expensive as an CL-Type S. See what your financial position is. Then test all the cars and make your decision after driving them all and get prices to compare them.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:57 AM
SpongeBob

well now i am getting frustrated! My father thinks its a horrible idea to buy this car! And of course i think its a great idea. but i have had my heart set on this car for a long time now. and i finally landed a good job, making enough to afford it. i have all of the finance details worked out, i did tons of research, and i even have a quote from a dealer for 29,880 for the 6 speed!i am gonna hold out for a few months. i just hope there are a few 6MT CLs left.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:10 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Just wait for the 03 Accord 6 speed. From what I've seen, read and heard from my Honda dealer, you won't be dissapointed (and it's an Accord, so your Dad will be )