Notices

Intake for an 89 Prelude?

Old 03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
tdcdodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake for an 89 Prelude?

Ive got an 89 Prelude Si 2.0L, bone stock (performance wise), im considering putting in an intake, do you guys have any recommendations on what kind i should get, and what kind of hp gains i shoudl expect to see?

thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
prelood

www.ebay.com

Dont expect much gains, a few hp tops
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 PM
heyfrench
1989 Honda Prelude 2.0si

AEM ITR CAI: (ALB Friendly)

or
94-01 Acura Integra rs,ls,gs 2 piece CAI (No Battery Relocation Required--not ALB friendly)
[from TDot3rdGen--www.preludepower.com]
Basically all I did was remove, the stock piping, also remove the battery and the tray....You need to get one of those narrow filters as the one I used had fiting probs, so what I did was bend the little tray support that attaches to the frame(seen in pic 1). then I shoved the filter in, after that I put in the piece that attaches to the filter, the other pices that goes to the throttle body...Then put back in the battery tray and battery...

When doint this you must use the 2 piece LS CAI as you do need the flexibilty to move around, as it barely clears the hood..Here are some pics, BTW it sounds amazing. To fit better, I will be cutting a little bit of the end of the pipe where they connect and also get a smaller filter which I recommend doing as I forced everything into place

OR gsr CAI:
(from CruZin89LuDe--preludepower.com)

however, it looks a lot more like it fits in th picture, you get no kind of idea of how many things i had to cut and how close it is to not fitting at all, if i had realized it was gsr i would have given up, but at first i was convinced it was the ls gs model, which i knew fit, so i wasnt gonna give up, see where it got me?

or Gladman Performance CAI/with short ram adaptability--ALB compatible, batt. relocation required
(contact the user Boosted at preludepower.com for availability info)

(From 1Sly_si at preludepower.com)
Well I bought the 94-01 Acura Integra Cold-Air Intake off of ebay for like 30 bucks from a company called Dynamic Auto out of maryland. First off I must say this was an AWESOME deal on this intake, great quality and comes in a silver powdercoat.....and the shipping was quick! It came in two days. Anyways, here is what is necessary to make it fit properly and look great! ( so there is no hood clearance problems)

The only things necessary for the job are :

-flathead screwdriver
-saw to cut the piping
-lubricant gel or spray to ease the connecting of the pipes
-and you'll have to buy an extra 2" rubber coupling (I bought all new ones because the blue that it came with didnt match my color scheme, so I bought black)
-breather filter

here is the pic to refer to as I explain what to do:

Step 1: remove battery, battery tray for ease of installation.

Step 2: your gonna have to cut the lower pipe cause it stands to tall in the engine bay causing slight fitment problems......so cut it about an inch above and below the bracket on the lower intake pipe.......the bracket gets in the way of the battery anyways.

Step 3: Install the 90 degree elbow up to your throttle body connecting the vacuum line back up to the intake pipe, there is no outlet for the pcv so I put a breather filter on......I suppose you could rig something else up though

Step 4: Since you cut the lower intake pipe you will have two pieces.... small elbow and a longer piece which was the bottom of the pipe, take the small elbow and attach it to the pipe that was just connected to the TB using a rubber coupling on both ends, then sit the intake filter in the corner under where the battery goes as far into the corner as you can.......so then when you attach the last pipe you can kind of "slide" the pipe end into the filter coupling.

Step 5: attach the last pipe you have left to the elbow you just installed and finally into the filter at the bottom. Tighten all your clamps and make sure everything is cool.

Step 6: re-install all the battery components.

Final Conclusion: This is a very inexpensive way to further dress up your engine bay and make more power then a typical short ram intake, it has more torque and a cruical sound which is heard very well outside. I used a friends g-tech (the newest model) and it was running two tenths better in the 1/4 mile measurement than what it was with a short-ram.....very well worth the purchase IMO.

hope that helps to all those wanting a CAI......

peace.