Notices

repair question...

Old 03-14-2005, 01:38 PM
typeSHpapi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair question...

would anyone know around how much it'll cost me to get my valves and clutch replaced? including labor? i have a 5th gen! thanks in advance guys..
Old 03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
jc836

Clutch can go for up to $1000 depending on which parts and model of car you have. Dealer labor is based on a "flat rate" book while an independent garage will charge what it wants. If you have an SH it takes longer than a Base.
Now to the valves-why did they fail is the Q here? If you overreved the engine then the head has to come off to properly inspect and repair. There are remanned heads from Honda and else where. How much-call a dealer. Labor+same as the clutch.
Whatever you do-do it right. The head is not hard to replace but must be done according to the Helm. A clutch can be done at home too-if youu have the right equipment and time. These projects can take upwards of 8 hours each.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:40 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Originally Posted by jc836
These projects can take upwards of 8 hours each.
If you're in the right mood, that'll be a hella good day. I'd love it! Some people would rather have it taken in, which is understandable. The only thing that makes me get big jobs professionaly done is tools and saftey - I'd definatly mess somthing up.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:45 PM
typeSHpapi

Originally Posted by jc836
Now to the valves-why did they fail is the Q here?

i miss-shifted from 3rd to 2nd NASTY STYLE!! twice in a matter of a month, so all of my exhaust valves are bent.. and about the clutch, don't exactly know what parts i need, but ever since the second miss-shift, the shifting of gears wont go in. i have to hold the gear down till it catches. it's almost like shifting without using the clutch.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:54 AM
jc836

I'll suspect that the synchronizers are also shot. The tranny should not be doing this unless the clutch or synchro's are damaged. The cylinder head can be repaired or replaced at the dealership. Either way-this is not cheap.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:44 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Originally Posted by typeSHpapi
i miss-shifted from 3rd to 2nd NASTY STYLE!! twice in a matter of a month, so all of my exhaust valves are bent.. and about the clutch, don't exactly know what parts i need, but ever since the second miss-shift, the shifting of gears wont go in. i have to hold the gear down till it catches. it's almost like shifting without using the clutch.
That's probably the synchros not letting you in (if it helps...)

Good luck with your repairs!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:09 PM
typeSHpapi

thanks for your input guys... i found a mechanic (a good one!) that willl do the work for about $1,500..... $800 for the clutch and about $700 for the valve job.... does that sound about right to you guys?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

800 for the clutch seems alright. My mechanic said 900+ for mine, and it's not even an SH.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 PM
typeSHpapi

so defeneatly $1,500 for the valves and the clutch is a good price??
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
typeSHpapi

Originally Posted by typeSHpapi

ok. guys i got the valve problem fixed... but the mechanic tells me he doesn't exactly know why the gear shifting wont go in. he told me "it could be that, it could be this or the other..." but i don't wanna waste money on fixing something that he aint sure is the problem... i asked him if it could be the synchronizer, but he said he doubts it... so here are the symptoms... when i'm driving normal the car shifts ok, alittle stiffer than before the incident, but i can live with that. the problem is when i'm driving the car hard and i'm trying to shift at high rpm's, it litterally wont let me shift. i have to wait till the gear falls in place... so can someone, who might know about this, diagnose my car and tell me what could be the problem... thanks in advance.