Notices

To ECU or Not to ECU

Old 03-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Dedalus2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To ECU or Not to ECU

I've got a Teg RS coming quickly up on 175 G and she's getting a little tired. Best car I've ever owned, I have to say, but I miss that spark she had. She can still roast a Lancer, but just doesn't have the 'get-up-and-go' she did. I love her but I don't wanna dump a grip into her cuz of her age/miles. Just popped for KYB AGX struts, originals finally gave after my gf bought 500 lbs of rock at home depot and dumped it in the trunk
What can I do to help breath a bit of youth into her? She's well taken care of, strict oil change routine every 2500 with DuraBlend oil and Pure1 filters only, fixed promptly when things go haywire as rare as that is.
Would a aftermarket ecu help her out? Or would that be pushing it cuz of her miles? Any other suggestions?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 AM
carta79
Life after death

What other mods do you have for performance? Experienced tuners leave the ECU ugrade as one of their last modifications.

If your car is in stock form I would advise against going with a ECU upgrade.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

an ECU upgrade would work best if your engine has Mods on it or if your boosting
Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 AM
reno96teg

useless with little to no mods.. how about a general tune up? when's the last time you performed one?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

First thing that comes to my mind is checking the compression, to see whether a ring job is needed. Assuming that compression is decent, then it's time for a standard tune-up.

New plugs,wires, rotor and cap...new fuel and air filters as well.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Dedalus2k

Did a full ignitions system tune up just a couple months ago...made a noticeable difference. What's the average cost of a ring job? And if they have it all out anyway how bout boring out the cylinders a bit? I know that worked with older muscle cars but I can't say I've heard of anyone doing it with 'tegs.
The only real mods I've got are suspension, struts, strut bars, etc. What realitively inexpensive engine mods would you suggest? I've thought about cold air intake and exhaust mods, but I really hate the way it makes the car sound, like a sewing machine on steriods.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I did a ring job on my teg because I noticed a ton of black soot on my bumper. Ran my over $200 and 10 hours of labor. It is very labor intensive and tedious, but is it so worth it if you burn a lot of oil. I haven't noticed once black soot mark since I have replaced my rings, so it was worth it to me. I have heard that the Honda dealership charges about $900 for the whole procedure.

I wouldn't recommend an ECU upgrade unless you are either boosted or have a fully built N/A motor. Just do a tuneup and valve adjustment and she should run like a champ.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by Dedalus2k
And if they have it all out anyway how bout boring out the cylinders a bit?
you could do this, but you can only bore out the stock sleeves before they get too thin. stock bore is 81mm and the max on the stock sleeves and still be daily driver safe is about 82mm.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:15 AM
ACK94
Life is FUN!!!!!

go for a higher CR piston along with that boring out?? or maybe some more aggresive cams?? get an intake and headers that way you wont have a loud, loud sound

go for a H22!!!! HEHEHEHE!!!! She'll be breathing like a pack of wild horses then!!!