Notices

Integra Hesitates

Old 03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
raynord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Hesitates

I have an 92 Integra (MT) with just over 200K miles. The last couple of weeks the engine has started to hesitate at roughly 2500 rpm and also 3500 rpm. It feels like the car wants to stall and then recovers. It will keep repeating this if I hold the engine at these speeds. I can even get the engine to do this if I rev the engine to this speed while stationary. All other engine speeds seem to be fine. It happens when the engine is warm or cold. No warning lights.
I have replaced the plugs, fuel filter and air filter.

Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

What about the distributor cap and rotor and wires? You should also check for clogged injectors. Run a bottle of injector cleaner and see if it clears up. I would also make sure the ignition timing is set to factory spec.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
NewbieTEG

Do you have a loss of power? Harder to start moving and barely creeps along in 5th? Because that’s what happened to me. I not only had the same problem, I replaced the exact same things as you. My car is now undergoing valve work at the shop. My number 4 exhaust valve was bent so I had no compression in the fourth, which means I was running on a cool three cylinders which is why the motor has such a hard time keeping idle. So it’s either, hopefully, plug or wire or some other electrical problem in one of your cylinders or, hopefully not, you have a bad valve which is giving you a hard time on one of your cylinders. Good luck, and let me know when you figure it out because I was wondering how often valve problems occur in these otherwise great cars.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Eclypz

vacuum leak?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 AM
NewbieTEG

It might be any number of things the would kill a cylinder, plugs, wires, vacuum, anything like that....
Old 03-04-2005, 12:17 PM
slapmaho

almost always is your wires cross firing.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Or the modulator within the distributor, that has happened to me.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 AM
raynord

I am going to check the timing today and replace the spark plug leads. I will keep you posted on my findings.
Thanks to all for your input.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
raynord

Problem solved.
Before I purchased anything else I took the distributor cap off to check it and the rotor.
There was my problem. The screw that holds the rotor arm in place had worked its way out and was bouncing around inside. 3 of the contact block in the distributor cap were bent and the end of the rotor was bent out of shape. It's a wonder the car ran at all.
After replacing these the symptoms went away.
Thanks everyone!