Notices

Won't start on hot days

Old 08-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Wolverine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start on hot days

I've done my searching and have come to the conclusion(after replacing my whole distributor) that the master relay needs replaced. Can someone please steer me in its direction. I've looked up under the drivers side dash and there are a bunch of relays. Which one is it and am I looking in the right direction?
I have a digital camera, so I could take pictures but I don't know how to post them.

(this is for a 90 Accord EX 4dr.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:18 PM
ASIMO

The fule cut off switch/relay needs to be replaced. it is located under the dash. it is a gray relay looking bok about 2x4 inches. look under the dash on the drivers side. close to the door straight up. its sometimes behind another black box.

Here is a link that can help

They run about $75-80 from the dealer. it is getting to that tiem where all the 4gen Accords are needing that replaced. if you have any other questions you can e-mail me. HondaDriver11279@yahoo.com

Hope I helped some.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Wolverine

When it doesn't want to start, I get out the bottle of trusty starting fluid and after 2-3 try's I can get it to run fine. Does that still sound like the relay your talking about?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:24 PM
smakdown

Yesterday it was like 110 degrees where i live and i was constantly turning the car on and off. Three times it didn't turn over right away but this was the first time it did that. Today its alot cooler and no problems at all. I was told by a knowledgable freind that it was probably vapor lock due to the hot weather that wouldn't let it start. When you start your engine, there is supposed to be a constant flow of gas into the engine, etc.. but when the engine compartment is extremely hot, some gas vapor is created and interupts the constant flow of gas, not letting the engine start right away. That explination seemed legit to me.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Wolverine

my car turns over great. no problems there. it just doesn't fire up after sitting out in the hot sun. but like i said, starting fluid can get it running.
would this still be a relay issue?
Old 08-25-2002, 05:09 PM
ASIMO

Does it act like its "flooding"? If it does. and since your saying it happen when its hot outside. I am saying its the relay.

The relay gets old and the ponts inside warp in the heat. after a few mins (about 10-15 mins) they make contact and the car will start. I am still looking for some pics of hte relay to post so you know what I am talking about.

With you useing the starter fluid, you are in a sence by passing the relay. The relay is what rund the fule pump. If the relay is not working, then there is not any fule being pumped to the engin. But when you use the started fluid. the car is burning it, instead of the fule and it will start. (hope that make sence)

I hate to tell anyone to take their car to the dealer, but in this case I don't know any shops in your area and it is hard to explain where the relay is on the internet. Again, let me see if I can find some pics or diagrams.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:53 PM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Here is the pic I found at the
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

#28 is the main relay. Listed price :$39.37
made by Mitsuba..

Old 08-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Fo SHo

Damn I have the same problem, nobody knows how to fix it cause they don't know how to diagnose the problem when the car does turn on. I've gotten stuck for over an hour at times, but other than that my car runs great especially for the 220 thousand miles on it.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Wolverine

Thanks AccordManiac, that is most helpful!!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:03 PM
ASIMO

Originally posted by Wolverine
Thanks AccordManiac, that is most helpful!!

Yeah, thanks man. I looked all over for that dang pic. I am goign to copy it and print it for future needs.

Quick Reply: Won't start on hot days