Notices

1997 Acura GS noise from the rear of the car

Old 02-26-2005, 10:03 AM
bmonty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Acura GS noise from the rear of the car

It's my wife's car and making a "noise" from the rear of the car. Just got back from an hour drive and, of course, the car was silent. She says that the noise comes and goes within a matter of seconds and is not dependent on braking, speed, or engine RPM. Noise is the same pitch every time. Comes on fast and distinct and leaves the same way. She couldn't really describe the noise but when she tried to imitate the noise it sounded like a bad bearing.

Before I dig into this thing to replace the fuel pump I'm wonder if anyone has any other ideas. Wheel bearings feel fine and brakes look good. Can't think of anything else mechanical in the rear.

Also, my shop manual says the fuel pump can be accessed thorugh a hatch under the rear seat. The guy at Autozone says it can't be done. What do you think?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-26-2005, 11:10 AM
2kAccord

Just FYI this is the accord forum.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
tdesi420

It could be the rear hatch that might be making the noise. My hatch makes this really irritating high pitched quick sound/noise when i go over a bump or something similiar on the road.
Try opening the hatch and closing it to make sure its tightly secured and see if this sound come again.
If its not that then it could be one of the suspension components.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:20 PM
bmonty

Replaced the fuel pump this evening. Don;t want her to get stranded. I'm going to be pissed if the sound comes back and it is something as simple as the hatch being out of whack.

Thanks,
Brian