Notices

Ignition Timing ?s

Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM
HrZnAccRd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Timing ?s

The question i have for ignition timing, is what happens when you adjust it without jumping that one circuit? Does it automatically advance/retard itself? If it does, that means you can advance the timing over and over again correct? Just jump it, advance it. Unjump it, retard it. then jump it again, and advance it?

Does this make any sense?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm not sure you do either. Maybe I'm just missing something? Ignition timing is basically the point at which the air/fuel ratio is ignited - the precise point in the upstroke or downstroke of the piston. Igniting on the downstroke is best for fuel economy and emissions, and igniting at the furthest point of the upstroke is the best for power. I think you could probably figure it out from that description, but sorry if you already knew that.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM
bonestock

yeah it automatically goes back to optimal timing if not in loop mode.

if you jump it and advance/retard it then it will stay advanced/retard.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:02 PM
HrZnAccRd

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm not sure you do either. Maybe I'm just missing something? Ignition timing is basically the point at which the air/fuel ratio is ignited - the precise point in the upstroke or downstroke of the piston. Igniting on the downstroke is best for fuel economy and emissions, and igniting at the furthest point of the upstroke is the best for power. I think you could probably figure it out from that description, but sorry if you already knew that.

Yeah, sorry about that. I know what ignition timing is. My question was geared more toward adjusting the ignition timing via distributor. But thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by bonestock
yeah it automatically goes back to optimal timing if not in loop mode.

if you jump it and advance/retard it then it will stay advanced/retard.
So that means if my timing is out of whack, and it's all the way advanced, but i still need a bit more, i can theoretically reset the timing by retarding it w/out jumping it. Then jump it and advance to my needs. does this sound about right?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:09 PM
bonestock

the ECU takes time to reset timing it doesnt do it instantly after you retard it w/o the jumper in and you cant really tell when it does w/o checking the timing marks. it adjusts over time to get the car at its most optimal AF ratio.

why not get a timing light and advance it until theres no pinging.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:26 PM
HrZnAccRd

Originally Posted by bonestock
the ECU takes time to reset timing it doesnt do it instantly after you retard it w/o the jumper in and you cant really tell when it does w/o checking the timing marks. it adjusts over time to get the car at its most optimal AF ratio.

why not get a timing light and advance it until theres no pinging.

I already maxed out the distributor. Its as far as it can go. Hence my inquiry on the ignition reseting w/out jumping. I need more timing!!! lol.

Well, I guess i'll have to do figure something out. Oh btw, the red mark on the pulley is 15BDTC? or is the red mark as far as you should go without going to advanced?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh sorry, I get what you were asking now h: