Notices

tranny hate question

Old 02-22-2005, 10:42 AM
hondadriver22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny hate question

im about to get another auto tranny, i was just wonderin though. how come so many ppl hate honda autos??? i mean is it like if i got a 5sp swap would i be whole seconds faster?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 AM
2kAccord

As a general rule all auto enthusiasts prefer manual transmissions. Automatics rob up to 20% of the crank hp while 5spds take around 12-15%. You also have greater control of how you drive with the ability to pick your gear and not letting a computer pick when to shift. While it wont make your car seconds faster, it is way more fun to drive, with a tad bit more power.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

im pretty sure a manual WILL be faster than an auto
compare the auto teg LS to the 5sp
almost 1/2 secong diff in 1/4 mile Et
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
bonestock

from the magazine times ive seen on the 5th gen id say anywhere from a half a second to a whole second faster.. so yea...

people dont hate honda autos, my mom and dad have no problem with them.

its young kids trying to make their slush box hondas into drag racers and doing neutral drops or manually shifting and killing them. also they arent a good platform to start on if your truely an import tuning enthusiast, i should know i blew up my auto tranny after 2 yrs of nitrous. 5spd conversion was the best mod ive ever done, should have started off with a 5spd but o well, you live you learn.

basically it will cost more in the long run to make a honda slushbox "fast" than it would with a manual.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
HrZnAccRd

Originally Posted by hondadriver22
im about to get another auto tranny, i was just wonderin though. how come so many ppl hate honda autos??? i mean is it like if i got a 5sp swap would i be whole seconds faster?
Almost a whole second faster... I'd say definately half a second faster. But a manual also is advantageous to road racing, as you can select the gear you WANT to be in before, during, and coming out of a turn.

i believe its the contol you get from driving a manual that makes it so appealing.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus you cant mod an automatic transmission car as much, the tranny just cant take it
Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
motoguy128

The newer 5 speed automatic transmissons are not going to give up as much time to manuals as in the past. The new auto trannies are lighter... Weight difference is only around 80 lbs more.

I personally have 8 stop signs on my 2 miles commute to work, and even a 4miles trip to the grocery store could have me shifting a maunal over 30 times. Do that for a few months and it gets old fast.... so I bought a manual this time.

Also the torque curve is so broad and flat even on the 4 cylinder engine, that when performaing passiong manuvers on 2 lanes roads... I think the advantage is nill.

Don't get me wrong I love manual transmissions, but on a midsized sedan, sometimes the convenience makes more sense... plus you don't have to special order the car.