Notices

Wheel Bearing?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
overlytg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing?

I have a 94 accord with a bunch of miles on it. I am getting what would best be discribed as a scraping sound from the right wheel when I turn left, so when more force is placed on the right wheel. It gradually disappears as the car warms. Anyone have a suggestion? I was thinking that it could be the wheel bearing. I checked to CV's from the outside, the boots are intact.

This is a great site, btw...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Checking the CV boots will not tell you anything. It is most likely a CV joint. I would replace the whole axle on that side. It is easier and most likely cheaper than just rebuilding the thing. If that doesn't clear it up, then replace the wheel bearing. You can check the wheel bearing by jacking the car up and pushing on the tire. If it moves, you need a new wheel bearing.

Good luck and welcome to HAN. Enjoy your stay.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read DIY section sticky...
Old 02-22-2005, 10:35 AM
hondadriver22

i got the same prob, but it scrapes on the right when i turn right
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
overlytg

I was thinking that it wasn't a CV because of the fact that it doesn't seem to be torque dependent, just cornering dependent.

However if I do need an axle, where would be a good place to get one? Would they carry rebuilt ones at a auto parts store, or will I have to go to a junk yard?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:27 PM
JL95AccorD

Find a place that specializes in axels. i got mine pretty cheap from one of those places. They were rebuilt. And they will have better quality than a regular auto store.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:07 PM
bonestock

clicking noises are probably axles. easy fix.

if it sounds like your always in a tunnel then its probably your wheel bearings. the bearings themselves are cheap but they are machine pressed in.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
12yearhondatech

I have never heard a bad cv joint make a squeaking noise. Check to see if your brake indicators are not touching the rotor first and if that is not it put the front of the car on jack stands and start the car and put in gear you may need another person to give it some gas to get the wheels moving then carfully put your hand on the strut to see if you feel any rumbling if you do then you need a wheel bearing.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 AM
overlytg

Thanks everyone, very good info. I will be breaking it down today and will post some results. I am pretty sure it isn't the break (althought that is what the sound makes me think it is), since I checked them a couple weeks ago when I rotated the tires.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Mike Oxbigger

I hear a scraping sound from my rims when i turn sharp because they are rubbing on my tie-rods