Notices

AutoX/track turbo application

Old 02-21-2005, 02:28 PM
DaBatThrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX/track turbo application

I crave more power. I've got a '96 LS and am looking at turboing it. I autoX and got to track days with this car, so I'm looking for something that won't lay down so much power that understeer will make the car undriveable. I read somewhere 230 to the wheels was about as high as one would want to go on an fwd car to maintain handling.

I'm probably gunna buy a kit that bolts on, and new internals(gunna get a track car later down the road and will upgrade the turbo on the teg).

I've heard that the Greddy kit will get me up to about 200 whp tops... what are your suggestions??

BTW I've got eibach springs and and KYB struts on the car.

Thanks guys.

-DaBat
Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

the greddy kit sounds like it'll give you everything you want. Shmoo has that kit. talk to him.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

If you're serious about auto-x, look into the rule book for your governing body. An aftermarket turbo will probably bump you out of the stock classes. You may find yourself in a bracket with M3s and V8 F-Bodies. :eek3:

If you're just going to do a few HPDEs or non-competitve track days, then it's not an issue. h:

My 2.3¥

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just something I copied and pasted from an earlier post. Seriously though, I've tried to make this point a thousand times... try a search if you don't believe me. Not to mention, that turbo will instantly put you in at least SM. :edit: and it doesn't sound like you suspension is up to snuff for that level of competition.

Originally Posted by Sh*tBox
I've driven or ridden in a lot of cars on the autocross course... and turbo is a distinct disadvantage for autocross. Even cars that were engineered from the factory to have unnoticable (small, quick-spooling) turbos are at a serious disadvantage. The problem is, on an autocross course, you never really have a chance to hold down the gas for more than a second or two, so if it takes one second for your turbo to spool, youve already lost your opportunity. Moreover, you need instantaneous throttle response to adjust the attitude of a car mid-corner. You just can't do this quick enough with a turbo.

Examples of this phenomenon: Saab 900s v. Saab 900 turbo, Mr2 n/a v. Mr2 turbo, 2.0 volkswagen v. 18.t, Supra v. supra t/tt, the list goes on and on.

Of all these cars, with almost identical suspension (within same class), the less-powerful n/a version will average faster times than its more powerful turbo counterpart. And these are all cars designed from the factory to have quick spool and throttle response. (these are also all examples that I have either driven, or ridden in on the autocross course). It only gets worse when you start dealing with aftermarket turbo'd cars.

I'm not saying its impossible to do well in autocross with a turbo, there are plenty of people who do. But definitely consider your modifications carefully. There are so many people who just throw on parts that don't do much, and end up in a class where they can't keep up. Just something to think about
Old 02-21-2005, 04:41 PM
dubcac
I

Get a JRSC if you want more power for autox. Turbo has too much lag unless you have a very short geared tranny, rev to 9k+, and have a small ballbearing turbo that spools fast.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You definitely won't be getting 230hp out of the tiny weedwacker turbo you would have to put on there to have it spooled up quickly for autocross. I am usually against superchargers on 4 cylinder engines but in your case, that is my best recommendation to get the power where you need it, when you need it.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Eclypz

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
this is just something I copied and pasted from an earlier post. Seriously though, I've tried to make this point a thousand times... try a search if you don't believe me. Not to mention, that turbo will instantly put you in at least SM. :edit: and it doesn't sound like you suspension is up to snuff for that level of competition.
I agree. I've even seen examples of a high output turbo car struggling to keep up with less power, N/A cars on a tight road course.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a turbo car to do well at auto-x or road racing, but it's definately alot harder to. Throttle control is hard when suddenly you hit full boost and gobs of torque starts coming in at once. And throttle control is a very important aspect of road racing - If you can't keep your car under control, and are constantly fighting against it to get it to do what you want, your lap times will reflect that.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Aracheon
I > joO

The guy you'd probably be interested in talking to would be Weston. He drives a turboed 97 LS that he sports locally in OSP, as I recall. He's making about 200whp/200wtq on a 50/69 trim custom built T3.

http://www.apexracingmedia.net/cars/teg/

Kick ass car, and a kick ass driver.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aracheon
The guy you'd probably be interested in talking to would be Weston. He drives a turboed 97 LS that he sports locally in OSP, as I recall. He's making about 200whp/200wtq on a 50/69 trim custom built T3.

http://www.apexracingmedia.net/cars/teg/

Kick ass car, and a kick ass driver.
OSP is a local Rocky Mountain Division class, other regions don't have it. Nationally, he'd be in SM.

I think weston's success in that car is due more to driving skill than car prep, but I haven't ridden with him before, just watched.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Aracheon
I > joO

Oh.. I didn't know OSP was specific to us..

Well, he used to be in SM. And yes, Weston's a hell of a good driver.. I've ridden with him a few times.